Bush Pardons: Round One

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Dec 23, 2008.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Subject says it all. So far, 19 pardons, 1 commuted sentence. No John Walker Lindh (not that we'd expect it) but no Libby or anyone in the 'Ol Boys Club.

Link

BL.

2. szark macrumors 68030

szark

There's a slight error in your link -- here's the correct link.

No names that I recognize, but I am very tired.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Most of the people on Clinton's list also made you say "Who?", so I wouldn't expect to see any huge names on Bushie's. Besides, he already commuted Libby's sentence anyway.

On a related note, does anyone know if, when someone innocent is convicted (let's say it's murder, so there's a chance it was the wrong person,) and then pardoned, someone else can be tried for the crime?

4. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Yes, they can. 5th Amendment states that a person can not be tried for the same offense twice.

Which brings up the question. Say a group of people kill someone in the minority. In trial, a witness who the prosecution says was a witness does not testify. The group of people acquitted. Yet 30something years later, a witness has the fortitude to testify. Can that group be brought back to trial for that crime?

BL.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've seen scenarios similar to this on Law & Order. :D I think there would have to be more than just a new witness, unless the witness was part of the group, or knew members of the group.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

It should be pointed out Bush allready stepped in sparred Libbey from going to prison. This is just after the fact paperwork. Libbey is enjoying as much freedom as any of the other draft dodgers Bush surrounded himself with in the whitehouse.

He told us another lie, then loaded it up with Karl Rove Spin.