Bush! Quits!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Great. Now we need a
    "Hillary indicted". Or "Bernie beats Hillary" thread

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well before Bush fades into the sunset we need to see if he will support Rubio -- after all their hissing at each other of late. At one time Rubio did consider him a mentor.....

4. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

That one has legs. It's the YEEEEEHAAAA of 2016.

5. 1458279 Suspended

Clearly this is an "anyone not from the past" or "anyone not from Washington" election.
    I wonder how strong the same is on the Dem side. Clearly Bernie is the one getting the benefit from this wave, but it doesn't seem like it's going to be enough.
    If there's bad news from the FBI or if Hillary runs short of money, she's going to have a very rough time.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-clinton-money-20160218-story.html

If she's having money problems now, she's in real trouble when the general comes around.

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'm sorry to see Bush go. He's one of the few on the GOP side with any sense. Few, being Bush and Kasich.

7. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Rubio is Jeb's lapdog

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Jeb took a lot of abuse on the trail, he might sit the election out.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 20, 2016 ---
    Yes... but the voters of the GOP seem determined to move things still farther to the right in 2016... much to the chagrin of the RNC. I guess they figure to go with Rubio now. The little hawk...

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I keep hearing the line from "Evita" that goes "slightly to the right of Attila the Hun." That pretty much sums them up. (Them, being Trump, Rubio, and Cruz.)

@LizKat - pm me if you would.

10. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I would like to declare my victory in the Bush quits thread race. My opponent ran a good, clean race but in the end, only one of our threads could be victorious. I congratulate my opponent on a job well done and wish them well in the future. I would like to finish by pointing out that I ran a positive campaign and never once pointed out that they used the wrong "by" in the thread title.

:D

11. 1458279 Suspended

I'd like to take this time to concede the race to "Mac'nCheese"... We fought the good fight, but in the end it was clear that my 3 followers were not enough against his 10 follower :D

BTW, he cheated! He gave out free "Mac'nCheese" to attract his followers.
    MacCheese.jpeg

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Mmmm... Mac'nCheese... *droools*

Anyway, the only thing really surprising is that Bush didn't drop out sooner. You have to wonder if he just honestly couldn't face the shame.

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Yeah, I liked Jeb a lot. Seems like a good guy. It seems like more of the debates were about his brother than him and unfortunately he couldn't distance himself. Trump also tossed him around like a balloon on stage. But I guess that can happen when the more drama you start makes you more appealing to your voting base.

I've gotta say though, that was a lot of money 'down the drain' for the Bush Campaign. I'm actually surprised he didn't pull out after New Hampshire to be honest. Anyone know what happens with leftover campaign funds?

14. 1458279 Suspended

I'm not surprised. Remember the '12 elelction, they all took turns being in 1st or 2nd place. It went on for quite a while before they found the pick. It's only been 3 states and he has a machine behind him, so I'm actually surprised he dropped out now.

I wanted him do drop before, that would have given more support for some others, but that's just because I don't agree with him.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 20, 2016 ---
    I think the funds are usually returned and the super pac usually goes to someone else, but I don't think they have to. That's an important issue in this run because anyone going against Trump will have to have huge support. Trump has mastered free media like no other ever has.

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

It looks like after paying outstanding bills and the costs involved with winding down campaigns, they can save it for if they run again. They can also refund personal funds to a certain extent. Donations are unlimited to charities or general political party funds. A maximum of $2000 can be donated to individual candidates or $5000 to PACs. It looks like SuperPACs can refund the money to their donors.

I've got to give credit to Trump not taking donations and probably spending less on marketing than anyone in modern history. He's a genius when it comes to using the media to his advantage. That's roughly where my credit stops though.

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Bush had his turn in first place at the very beginning. As soon as Trump entered the race, his numbers plummeted. Also if you look at the 2012 poles, Romney remained relatively strong throughout the primary.

17. 1458279 Suspended

There's also the issue of "is Trump electable" that Washington fears. They'll find out if Trump can get past a certain percentage. If Trump is topped out now, then they'll need someone else to take over, so they have a few to choose from.
    They need to find the "if not Trump, who?" man, and that's looking like Rubio, but still too early to tell. This is getting close and they need an answer. They already know who it's not :D

18. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

The last thing this nation should want is dynastic white house occupation. No Clintons or Bush's or Kennedys.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

$85,000,000 spent for less than 95,000 votes. $900 a vote.

Low ball estimate to replace Flint water pipes. $55,000,000.

20. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

The sad thing is that the taxpayers, mostly of Flint with some help at the state and federal level, will ultimately have to foot the bill for the poor decisions of elected officials who they didn't vote for. The laws should be changed so that the elected officials along with the voters who supported them are legally responsible for these types of financial damages. Perhaps when elected officials and their supporters have actual skin in the game, they will be less driven by misguided ideologies and less cavalier with the decisions they make that impact real people's lives.

21. 1458279 Suspended

Beyond that, I heard the price they paid for water in Flint was pretty high.

This is clearly a major screw up and nobody won. Shows how hard it is to trust the government.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

EPA knew about the issue for quite some time, when should Obama expect a bill in the mail?

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's now official. There are no moderates left running.

24. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

They all use the "suspend campaign". In suspension they can still receive donations to close out any campaign debts.

I really don't understand Bush. He was a great governor in Florida. Trump is just too much of a loud mouth and a d*** for there to be any real discourse. It's unfortunate.