Bush runs White House with sports metaphors

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 16, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

the article goes on with more examples, some of which are mis-spoken. i stopped at the Ray quote, and the "we just assume that everyone understands them," because i find that curious. imo, such metaphors are worse than useless. they don't convey any real meaning, they just "sound good". (i put that in quotes because i think they sound idiotic)

my concern is that meaningless phrases have become substituted for meaningful dialog, and not just in the bush WH. i've often said IRL that if people in the US put forth the same kind of passion and thought as they do watching sports and tracking stats into something else like literature, science or public service, we'd be hugely better off as a nation.

and now such pedestrian talk and pursuits have taken over the WH. did blair "sprint to the wire" in his final days? wtf does that even mean? why can't we, as a nation, have a real dialog anymore? is there anyone who thinks substituting sports metaphors for actual dialog is helping?

or is sports all we have left?

2. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Some of the metaphors have been around for a long time - levelling the playing field being among the oldest that I can remember.

I think one of the benefits of using sports is that most people will understand the comparison - its a point of common understanding. As a benefit, sports is apolitical. You can use a comparison without alienating most people. If someone described the need for <pick your choice> reform was like Sherman's March to the Sea - painful, arduous, but necessary for the greater good - most of the South would drop support in a heartbeat, while most of the counry wouldn't know what you were talking about. Compare the need for reform to two-a-days, and most folks would understand your point and you don't alienate anybody.

Also, I think that sports imagery is very powerful and carries emotion. The marathon/sprint metaphor in your quote is an example. To think of a marathon - pushing yourself, reaching the point where you don't know if you can make it and then breaking through that wall, it's not the fast who win - it's the well-paced. To think of a sprint - it will end quickly, you push as hard as you can the whole way, there is no time to worry about pacing. all of that carries in comparing a marathing and a sprint.

Lastly, a lot of those phrases entered mainstream a long time ago. I think there has been a shift and in 10-20 years, a lot of tech-speak is going to start to crop up in making metaphors.

In the end, metaphors are just too popular, and everybody roots for the winner. ;)

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The Democrats were forced to punt over the troop withdrawl.

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

smaller point: w/in a WH, i'd hope that everyone in the circle is 1) intelligent, and 2) can understand what's being said.

larger point: i'm not denying that they can be useful, i'm saying that they can't be a substitute for more meaningful dialog. now, the article doesn't go into that particular issue, but i can easily imagine bush uttering more and more sports metaphors, and fewer and fewer meaningful things.

hey, if everything was going well in this country, then maybe i'd say sports metaphors are helpful. instead...

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Well, George did a great job running his baseball team. Maybe he wanted to bring that success into the White House.

[/sarcasm]

6. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

hey, you have to lose before you can appreciate victory. :D

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Yeah, but you still have to win even after you've lost (one or a few or everything you tried) to know what a victory even is:D

8. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

That's leftwing crazy talk! ;)

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

No, that's extreme leftwing talk. Free pot for everyone and no one pays taxes or goes to work ever!!!!!;)

EDIT:Oh, and if you want to play sports all day that's cool. As long as it's Frisbee golf.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think the splurge could be adequately described as a Hail Mary...

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

No. For a rapidly growing segment of the population, there seem to be even more hours and brain cells to waste on fantasy sports.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I always wonder about people who deal exclusively in sports metaphors, sometimes you just want to stop them and demand they actually say what they mean. Of course, I'm no fun, I also yell at people who deal in technical and business metaphors as well.

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

That and Quarterback Sneak, Flea Flicker, Statue of Liberty finished off with a Quick Kick and all played under protest and penalized with too many men on the field, illegal procedure, encroachment and delay of game, just to name a few others.

14. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

The more I think about this...

I don't think Bush comes up with this stuff on his own. A proper metaphor indicates some conceptual knowledge of the issue at hand. I don't think Bush has any. His advisers likely explain things to him in metaphors because that's all he can comprehend. He then uses them becuase he figures everyone is as dumb as he is.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Sometimes I think that's true.

16. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Thanks for correcting my spelling! :)

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Built in spell check. ;)