Bush sr died?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Nov 30, 2018.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

2. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Was sure after his wife passed it wouldn't be long. A great man. Such is life.

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

See if we can guess who will miss the funeral …

4. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Ronald Reagan?

5. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

6. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I wouldn't want that imbecile desecrating what will be a decent service. I was born with Reagan, but Bush is the one who I was cognizant of being my President. To me, it doesn't seem like long ago. But here we are. But no, Trump is an insincere grandstander. Lets keep it classy.

7. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

8. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

It seems he was the oldest former POTUS at 94

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Isn't Carter older?

BL.

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Bush had him beat by 5-6 months, as long as Carter lasts, he will then become the oldest former President.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

A little more than three and a half months difference.

12. Strider64 macrumors 6502a

Strider64

Say what you will, but former President George H. Bush was the last Republican that I can think of that put aside his differences and worked with a former Democrat in order to raise money for a couple good causes.

Can anyone see Trump doing that when he's out-of-office?

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

14. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Sad to hear, but back together with Barbara again, I’m sure.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think you meant “Democratic former President”. But yeah. The guy was the last Republican president who could truly be called a statesman. RIP.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 1, 2018 ---
    Better question: when Trump’s time comes, what will his funeral be like?

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Indeed. He basically lost reelection in 1992 for breaking a pledge and raising taxes for the right reasons. Solid Guy. And he was a CIA Director too iirc...how far we've come. RIP.

17. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

Actually GW Bush spends a lot of time with Bono and are close friends and do charity work and stuff together.

The Bush family is a good, classy family for the most part, and both father and son served their country well.

18. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

George Herbert Walker Bush may have felt he lacked "the vision thing" but he nonetheless lived an exemplary American life in the fishbowl of our rough and tumble presidential politics. I must say that as a Democrat interested in those politics from way back in the era of Eisenhower and Stevenson, and often enough as a critic of policies during the presidency of Bush 41, I could not have imagined that such a fall from grace as has occurred in the Republican Party since then could so elevate my opinion of GHWBush and his conduct in both the public and private sectors (and mind you I am still no fan of the Carlyle Group, so that's saying a lot).

It's humbling to realize I sometimes have not cherished all that's worth appreciating in a President, his behavior and policy decisions while he has occupied the office and in later years. I find myself completely unable to imagine ever feeling that way about the current President. I hope I never live long enough to end up regretting I did not sufficiently cherish the life and deeds of Donald Trump, since that would mean we hadn't yet quit digging a bottomless pit when we elected the dude. In the meantime I do mourn the passing of Bush 41 as an eminently worthy public servant.

19. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

The irony being that Bono helped get Slick Willie elected.
    While I’m sad he’s gone, Bush sr was a pretty useless and ineffective presidency. His incompetence allowed Saddam to stay in power and that job was incomplete and we are still paying for the mess his son left.

20. PracticalMac, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

George Herbert Walker Bush has more honor in his little toe than the entire body of #45.

I consider Bush the finest statesmen ever to be become President in the last 50 years.

o7 RIP

(o7 is smiley for salute)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 1, 2018 ---
    I used to think that myself, but that was before I knew how murderous the Sunni-Shiate rivalry is.

I think Bush I advisors warned him of this danger (and drag us into a possible civil war) and leaving Saddam in power would keep the region in stable.
    The failure was keeping a very tight reign on Saddam and force him to loose some of his autocratic powers (for example deny his children any authority).

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Getting rid of saddam in 1991 would have led to the debacle that was the Iraq war just 15 years earlier.

22. Zenithal macrumors G3

Present President excluded, no President can always be good. They're humans just like the rest of us, and can make mistakes. They learn from these unlike a certain one. That said, I hoped he'd live longer than this, but I suppose once your once jolly heart fills with grief and sorrow after having lost your best friend in life, then life does its thing while your emotions take a toll on you.