Bush suffers first veto override

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Nov 9, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

From Crooks & Liars

The Senate joined the House in overriding Bush's veto of the Gulf Coast water restoration projects. This was the first loss for bush, and it was a resounding defeat. It is to be hoped that once the congressional republicans see that the world did not come to an end, more overrides may be in the future.

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Not exactly a toothy move, but hopefully it will embolden congress to start acting in the interest of the people.

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Now it's up to the House Appropriations Committee to provide funding.

From what I've read, flood protection for Sacramento is part of it; that seems to be a much-needed project and not pork. And, other similar stuff.

'Rat

4. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

You have made a good point. There are number of good projects covered in this legislation, but so far there are little committed funds to pay for them. The House Appropriations Committee is going to be heavily lobbied to move various projects to the 'top of the list'. It will take solid project analysis and management to use these funds efficiently.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I rejoice in the fact that Congress finally "got one" past Don Vito Bush.

Too bad it had to be something so obviously worthwhile. As Iscariot notes, it's not exactly a ballsy move on Congress' part. But a good one nonetheless.

And yeah, let's hope they put some money behind it.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Seems to me this ties in to the claim by the American Society of CivilEngineers (ASCE) that some $10 trillion worth of work is needed in rebuild/repair/maintenance of infrastructure. That's a mix of private/city/county as well as state and federal funding.

Grump: Sometimes I think politicos attach more importance to news coverage of a ribbon cutting at a visitor center than in news coverage of a major waterline upgrade or rebuild...

'Rat

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's a small victory, but a victory non the less. As mentioned though, actually getting the much needed funds in another thing entirely. I just can't believe he was actually going to veto it. Scratch that, I can, I just can't believe he has the nerve to threaten a veto saying we don't have the money, and how it's all pork, while asking for more money for Iraq. Ok, I actually believe that too. And that makes me sad.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Odds are that some of the proposed projects are pork. Public works projects authorizations usually have some. That's one of the reasons supporting the idea of a line-item veto. Odds are, were there a line-item veto, there'd be less pork in the first place. Earmarks, too, for that matter, maybe.

'Rat

9. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Rat - I heard an op-ed writer say this legislation actually got through the committees WITHOUT the pork and earmarks you would expect to see in a piece of legislation like this. The tone of the article was one of shocked disbelief. There was a comment made about some no bid contract awards, being handed out far too frequently, but that was about it (besides funding the projects.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's a pretty low-risk vote for all involved, however welcome it might be on paper.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Holy cow! The Democrats grew some balls and took on the CinC? Oh no, wait they didn't. As is noted, this is pretty low risk stuff.