Bush veto of kids' health bill puts pressure on House GOP

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stella, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The war will end. Another social program will not.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Bush truly has an ear of tin. Even his veto announcement was full of obvious crass misrepresentations. The veto override vote will be an interesting political show.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not if Erik Prince can help it.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Is he trying to get Hillary elected, because this is really going to help. Not to mention the fact that it's completely the opposite of what they rest of the country wants. Even 61% of Republicans supported this bill.

6. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Kids don't need healthcare. They need toy guns and clearly defined bad guys, so they can grow up well-adjusted.

Edit: you got homing torpedo

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Yeah, support is so high among Republicans that the veto's not going to be overturned in the House.

To be honest though, I'd support a program to help kids if it were financed correctly. Add a surtax to diapers, toys, soda, candy, formula, movie tickets, videos, games etc. and see who really wants to help the children. Wonder if Hollywood and the children industry would get behind something like that.

8. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

That is actually a great idea. I don't agree on diapers and formula though but everything marketed to children that is not necessary, I agree.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They should. Also, every pro-lifer out there should be screaming for this bill to be passed. If they aren't- shame on them.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

But this isn't another social program.

And yes, the war will end. War won't.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Why don't we simply tax all the pro family groups? Churches are renowned for their "support" of children's initiatives, Focus on the Family and other groups are always braying like donkeys that the country needs to focus more on kids. Why don't they put their money where their mouth is?

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I didn't watch the movie but didn't Michael Moore say that Hillary is now in bed with the insurance companies.

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

And why can't we tax a group that is voluntarily heading towards more health issues raising the cost of insurance for all of us? Like, say, maybe... smokers?

Some will quit due to the expense -> healthier life, less burden on the healthcare system, reduced insurance costs (or at least increased profits)

Some will continue to smoke, funding the program -> kids without insurance now have it and avoid expensive emergency room trips for cheaper earlier preventative care, reduced insurance costs (or at least increased profits)

I don't necessarily see the downsides here. You can tax those that have kids or you can tax those contributing to the rising costs of healthcare. Is it the parents fault for having kids, or is it the fault of those who engage in risky behavior driving up the cost of healthcare to the point that some parents can't afford it?

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

She completely is. Why do you think she came up with the idea of making the uninsured illegal? Yeah, great idea Hil. More money for insurance companies to take and then deny services later. Right from Romney's playbook. :rolleyes: Nevermind the fact that the reason so many people are uninsured is because they can't afford it in the first place.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Correct me if I am mistaken, but don't both the Clinton and Obama health proposals include allowing under-65s to enroll in Medicare?

16. pdham macrumors member

Agreed

17. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I prefer Richard Prince instead.

18. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Great idea Swarmlord. Tax diapers and formula so that those that have kids needing health care have more expenses to pay. I guess low income people should have to breastfeed and use split-pants to have healthcare.

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well if they're poor its their own fault according to swarmlord and they shouldn't have had the kids in the first place if they couldn't afford it. :rolleyes:

this was a horrible thing to veto imo.
    it was a step in the right direction. we need more preventative care in this country than reactionary. the better kids are taken care of now, hopefully the sooner problems will be detected and taken care of.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

AFAIK, the Clinton plan requires people to buy insurance, just like people are required to buy car insurance. That isn't fixing the problem. Remember whose money she's taking. Don't be fooled into thinking this woman will do one thing to hold insurance companies accountable. She will be no better than Bush on this front. Don't be fooled for one second.

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Well if this analysis is right, the veto might have the opposite effect and further the push for true universal healthcare...

Despite our initial reaction, in retrospect this may be the best thing Bush has ever done, quite possibly the only thing he did right...

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm not being fooled by anyone. I'm simply asking the question. I am recalling when Clinton announced her plan that one of the plans she'd make available for purchase is Medicare. I know Obama has proposed something similar.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't think either option addresses the real issue- cost. Health insurance can no longer continue to be a for-profit venture. It should be obvious to all why that's a problem.

24. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Seconded.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Cost is only one of the real issues. Access is another huge one. It's highly unrealistic to expect the entire health insurance industry to wiped away. That's just not going to happen, and I think we all know it. I'd be happy to see steps taken in the right direction. Making Medicare available to all would be a major step in the right direction.