Bush wants to meet (but not negotiate) with Democrats

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

CBS News

How condescending. And I love the threat of sending soldiers back over there even faster.

As far as the rest of it goes, what is the point? To hear Bush recite explanations everyone's already rejected?

He truly is in his own little world, isn't he?

Still, I think his willingness to dig in his heels will make it easier for Congress to dig in theirs. As I've said, I don't think Bush is gonna win the PR war on this one. The public is mostly on Congress' side.

What's he really threatening to do, anyway? If this doesn't get approved, he'd rather leave all the soldiers over there without food and ammo, rather than bring them home, just to win his point?

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

If "everyone" in Congress wants it another way they'll be able to pass any bill they want by overidding his veto and effectively dictate terms. Something tells me that "everyone" doesn't feel that way.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm not sure which is more disturbing:
    1. that bush thinks a dem-led congress will bend to his will like the one he had prior, or
    2. that bush thinks the legislative branch "reports" to the executive branch

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yep, wouldn't surprise me. the man can't believe that he is wrong. remember, hes surrounded himself with 'yes men' all around.

and i can see him just letting the troops and forces languish, and then blame it on congress, which would've worked in the past, but i don't think the american people will believe that. i think too many people are sick of a war that has been no good at all to us.

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Anyone read else this as Bush threatening to deploy troops against the Congress?

6. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

True. Politicians - especially Democrats of the past 20 years - are cowards, or to put it charitably have a "highly developed instinct for self-preservation". Understandable, to some degree - if you're too far away from public opinion you don't get elected. Many, many in congress did not believe in the WMD and other claims before the war (indeed, you had to be a fool to believe lies told so clumsily), yet they voted in droves against their own beliefs and better judgment - because public opinion at the time was pro-war.

The Democrats, the natural opposition to the gangsters and traitors of Republicans and the White House, was pathetic. The Democrats are pathetic as opposition - zero backbone.

The war is lost. There is no doubt about it. Sure, there are folks out there, conservatives who believe otherwise, but they are like the morons in the White House - like Hitler in his bunker at the end of the war wrapped in an alternate reality, moving about nonexistent troops on a big map.

So, the war is lost. Now the fight moves over who will take the blame. If the Democrats don't continue to give Bush all that he wants, conservatives will claim "we would have won, but the Democrats lost the war by denying funds blah, blah, blah". It's like the Nazis used that propaganda at the end of WWI - they propagated the myth that Germany was about to win WWI when the Communists "stabbed the Army in the back" by staging anti-war protests in Berlin. This myth allowed the Nazis to whip up the population for WWII.

Same kind of fight erupted after every misadventure "who lost China?" "who lost Vietnam?".

So my position is somewhat paradoxical. I say, the time to oppose Bush was before the war - and the Democrats blew it. Now that the war is lost, why would the Democrats want to give the Republicans any exuses?

I say, give the president, the Republicans, the conservatives, the military all the rope they want by which to hang themselves. You want 100 billion with no pre-conditions? Here you go!

For too long, the Democrats have cleaned up the Republican mess, only to be saddled with the blame. The Republicans bankrupt the budget (Reagan), the Democrats clean it up (Clinton). Now Bush has done the same, and when Democrats raise taxes to get out of this mess, the Republicans will use the "tax and spend Democrats" lie to get to power and rob the treasurey blind again (Haliburton and a thousand other crimes). Enough.

I say, let them lie in the bed they made. You want to stay in Iraq and continue losing, one bloody body bag at a time? Go ahead, knock yourself out. Bankrupt the economy. Destroy the military. Bring on death and destruction. In fact, I hope the next president is another Republican - maybe that wacko McCain, let him continue to bleed the country. Because in the long term it's better - sure, we'll have a nasty few years, but then, like after the Great Depression, the Republicans will again be banished from power for 50 years.

The Republicans will destroy the American Empire. Every empire in history eventually declined after military over-extension. So will the American - and the Republicans will be the agent of destruction: arrogant, full of hubris, ignorance, hatred, stupidity and greed. Just as in the Roman Empire and every other one. And I say that's for the best - because America is best when it stands for freedom, not empire.

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I read "everyone" as the majority of the public. More people agree with the Democrats, seeing they were elected in large number to Congress, but Bush has the temper of a 5 year old. He's going to keep throwing tantrums until he gets his way. I think it's great Congress isn't giving in.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Impeach Bush Now. He's not the King of the US and he needs to go.

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

"Everyone" also includes members of Congress who've indicated they will support Bush on this, but their patience with him is at an end. Arlen Specter just said that the other day.

Don't be fooled. Even plenty of Republicans know this is a crock.

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Nice analysis from Countdown with Keith Olbermann, talking about how Bush is drifting even farther from reality.

Bush:
    Never mind that Congress has approved war funds and awaits only reconciliation of the two bills; or that the first and last sentences of Bush's statement contradict each other.

Olbermann:
    By the way...I know Congress was in brief recess, but does it strike anyone else as curious that the Democrats haven't reconciled the bills yet?

Bush keeps saying that if he doesn't get a bill he likes in the next week or two, it will begin to adversely affect the military. It's almost as if Congress is purposely delaying sending him this bill, to box him into a corner where, if he vetoes this bill, by his own words there will be no time left to draft another one.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I love how he talks about the pork. As if he didn't sign a bunch of stuff that was loaded with even more when Congress swung the other way. And as if the pork was the Dems fault. Who do you think they pork was for?

Hint, it wasn't for the Dems and liberal Repubs who already support withdrawal.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from salon:

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

It's reprehensible when people leak information to the press like that. I hope there's a full investigation.

14. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I love guys who leak information like that. I hope that they get the Presidential Medal of Freedom for exposing the crooks. :cool:

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

do you recognize a line between leaking and whistleblowing? (i'm not making any statement regarding where this incident falls, just asking if you believe there's a line).

16. jlcharles macrumors 6502

I think they should be negotiating on the first part of this, but I find the second part to be the biggest problem with congress. The fact that these self serving scum (on both sides) throw completely unrelated funding onto bills that they have nothing to do with.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Reprehensible? Reprehensible???!!!!!! More like patriotic, my friend. So you'd rather keep your head in the sand? The truth isn't a good thing in your world? That post just said a lot about you.

18. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah, don't be surprised. A consistent policy of obfuscation is the style! :eek:

19. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Well, they won't be getting any Presidential Medal of Freedom from Bush at any rate. :rolleyes:

Well, look at it this way, every day that goes by, is another day closer to the day that creep (Bush) gets out of office.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Fine. Get rid of the pork, but the timetable stays- no negotiating on that. They were elected for one reason and one reason alone- to end this idiotic war. If they weren't trying to do that, then we'd have reason to be angry.

21. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah, our mayor Rocky Anderson wants him impeached ASAP. Hmm... unfortunately looks like that's going nowhere quick. :eek:

22. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

No kidding, why can't we turn the pork into bacon and slough it off completely? :D

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

please list for us the add-ons of which you approve, and the ones of which you disapprove.

24. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I think that theoretically there is, but I think there are too many people in Washington (and elsewhere for that matter) that have members of the press on speed dial. It is not illegal to modify the length of a troop deployment or anything else that seems to be leaked these days, so it's definitely not whistleblowing. It's just someone looking to stir things up.

25. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Come on. Blowing the whistle on law breaking is one thing, but speed dialing the press for something like this is grounds for firing. I hope they find the perp because he or she is definitely in the wrong business.