Business owners stand by decision

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Feb 20, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/20/us/workers-fired-day-without-immigrants/index.html
    they were warned.......

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

3. samcraig macrumors P6

There's a deli on Long Island that fired 20+ people today. Actions have consequences - sure - but it goes both ways. I suspect this deli will lose a lot of business. And not they also have to hire and train 20+ people. Not very cost efficient.

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It's a deli not rocket surgery.

5. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

It will be ok, they'll just find another job really quick. Previous administration left us with a healthy economy, right? ;)

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Clearly you've never owned a small business. Many small restaurants and business will tell you the headaches involved with the normal onboarding - let alone having to train 20 at one time. And the loss of business.

The deli was free to make their decision. I don't fault them for it. But I don't see it as a winning move. Tons of paperwork, training and no doubt a lot of lost business. To me, the negative outweighs the positive.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

"A Day without immigrants" - what nonsense.

Neither Trump nor his supporters are against immigrants.

How about a day without illegals where they all go back to mexico?

8. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

It's really quite simple. No call, no show, no job. Warning of consequences of losing a job and ignoring your employer, not smart.

You want to stand for something fine but know that others will stand for their own thing. So every choice has a consequence.

9. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Plenty of people are terrible at even relatively unskilled labour.

10. zin Suspended

But it could be rocket salad.

11. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

If you were informed that you'd lose your job and you then proceeded you lost your ability to cry about it afterward.

13. martint235 macrumors regular

martint235

How will you know they've gone? How many are there in the States anyway?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2017 ---
    I agree with this. Both businesses mentioned in this thread made their position clear prior to the event. It is to be expected that actions have consequences and in a way, fair play to the businesses for having the conviction to stand by their decisions but.....

The administrative overhead of having to hire and train new staff, the additional paperwork etc has mentioned but also the possible loss of business from customers who disagree with your stand. True, you may win some new customers based on the principled stand but I would wager more customers will be lost than gained.

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Actually, the previous Administration did...

15. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I wager the difference in either direction will be fairly short lived.

I can't imagine the next 4 years will be short of protests that people want to avoid work for. Best to weed them out now.

16. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

the whole cause was dumb. Trump isn't against immigrants. He's against Illegal Immigrants and taking people from countries that have no gov't are in chaos and thus leaving us with a gamble on who we are taking in.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Seems as thought the story has been clarified. However that last sentence is a bit weird. Why would those employees question their employment. Perhaps a reversal in their decision due to negative press? It's possible they were told not to return, but now Ronnie decided he reacted too broadly. One to watch, I guess.

"While some employees opted to participate in the walkout, several others chose to work and, as a result, the leaders of the protest put pressure on the others to walk out, even threatening physical harm to colleagues choosing to work their shifts.”

As it is Ben’s mission to provide a safe and welcoming work environment for all employees, company owner Ronnie Dragoon found this to be a cause for immediate dismissal of the employees who made the threats. All other employees involved with the walkout were, and still are, invited to return to their positions with the company.”

18. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Oh well - if you want to skip work constantly to go and protest then thats the choice you've made. Honestly... do these protesters REALLY think they're making a difference? Its silly. Like all of the "normal" people who are living their lives and doing normal stuff are going to suddenly go "hey wait, look at those protesters. We should stop what we're doing and change our outlook because of them". Yeah. Right.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

Amazing that you think protests do not lead to action. Not all the time - but what an overgeneralization.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Conservatives just voted for a protest president...

21. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Pulling a sickie isn't really the same as voting.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It is when you vote for a candidate with no experience to say **** you.

23. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Perhaps their employer was lousy and they were ready to quit anyway?

24. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Wake me when these stories include Pinkertons cracking skulls. Then I'll know we made it back to the great America of which Trump pledged.

25. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I also wonder how much it has to do with the subject of the demonstrations. Most small businesses are greatly impacted by labor outages and it sounded like many of these employees didn't even bother notifying management that they be out.

I don't like seeing workers lose jobs but I'm hoping that the students that are skipping school for all the protest suffer the consequences. The school system is not doing the students any favors by ignoring it.