Business user's review of Retina MacBook Pro versus Macbook Air 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Paulroebuck9999, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Paulroebuck9999 macrumors newbie

Received my retina MBP an hour ago (15" 2.6 16gb 512SSD).

Here are my first impressions compared to my July 2011 MBAir (13" 4gb 256SSD).

My first ever Mac was the Air last summer so never used a MBP or OSX products before, prior to last year was Dell & Windows. (lest we forget)

Here is what I was concerned about with the new rMBP. . .

WEIGHT: I was fearful of weight of the rMBP - no fears. Its very acceptable, not the same weight as the air obviously but feels light and easy to pick up with one hand. Will be easy to transport to the office on a daily basis. Weight feels fine, don't worry. I suspect I will treat the MBP with more respect than the air, won't be able to throw it onto the sofa - it'll need more careful handling I suspect.

KEYBOARD: The MBP keys feel more distinguished than the Air. There feels to be more substance to the keyboard. Only slight but noticeable. The whole keyboard area feels far more substantial. The wrist area around the trackpad is significantly better than the Air, slightly larger so better for sustained use I suspect.

SCREEN - read the reviews. Its awesome. However the main reason for my change from the Air was the greater desktop space. in 1900 res its fine, 1680 will likely be my default selection. Its perfect and delivers that important extra space.

OVERALL - the MBP makes the Air feel like a toy, the Air looks and feels somewhat cheap and tatty compared to the rMBP. However the Air is the best computer I have ever owned. Its phenomenal, sensational. I don't know what I will do without it . . . . the rMBP has some big shoes to fill.

BTW - I am not a video editor or designer. I am an average Jo who uses office applications etc. Man of simple needs.

2. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

Nice little review and I am also looking at going from a 2011 MBA to one of these rMBP and cannot wait.

Glad the weight is not much of an issue as that was my primary concern but the beefier spec's more than make up for that.