But but his emails... Mike Pence uses AOL email for official business as Indiana governor.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Eraserhead, Mar 3, 2017.

1. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Perhaps those calling for Hillary to be jailed will now not employ double standards and call for pence to be investigated. I don't fancy the odds on that one.

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

IIRC, like Powell he didn't store the server in his house, ergo not the same... No investigation needed...

3. Eraserhead thread starter macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's convenient...

Are you sure it's not because Hilary has a D after her name?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 3, 2017 ---
    The Republicans have been rather quiet on this one...

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Nope. No double standard. If Pence broke the law through him in jail, AFTER Hillary.

This however is comparing apples to oranges. Hillary used a secret server in her house. Completely hidden and unauthorized. When subpoenaed Hillary destroyed her server with all the data. She also sent SECRET and SCI data on her server. Pence used AOL. Everything is backed up at AOL and if subpoenaed AOL could produce everything the subpoena requests. I also don't believe Pence even had a secret clearance at the time.

It also doesn't look like Pence did anything wrong. From the article:
    "Indiana law does not prohibit public officials from using personal email accounts, the Star added. But it requires all records dealing with state business to be retained and available for public information requests"

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

See above, for my point....

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

7. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Even the article quoted says it was allowed.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

That's the real crime right there that should have taken him out of the running for VP ;)

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

A personal server is actual less risk. AOL and Yahoo get hacked like every other week.

10. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Using AOL? It's allowed. How does that disqualify him?

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Personal server, public server it doesn't matter. The user has convenient access to files in an unregulated area.

12. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Let me help you. :p

[​IMG]

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It matters quite a bit actually.
    Private server --> Data retention in the hands of the user

Public server --> Data retention in the hands of the external company which has to follow data retention laws.

14. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I don;t get it. Sorry.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

AOL sucks.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

He's allowed to use a private email service for conducting state business? If so, are those emails public domain, required for disclosure?

17. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yes to all.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 3, 2017 ---
    Let me rephrase it. They are not "public domain". They are for public scrutiny, that is they are an open record. What it means is that he is not required to give all the emails to everyone who asks. He is required to give the pertinent emails to a specific request that is approved by the relative government (state in his case). Also, if the relative government asks, he is required to hand out all of his emails.

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

They are no more public domain than your emails are public domain. The rules state that the emails have to be saved in the event that a request is made for them. It looks like he was in compliance with this rule.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

Which begs the question - did he switch to a free AOL email address - or was he still paying 9.95 a month?

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So has he archived these emails into an official State database? If AOL is the only entity that has them what is to prevent them from being purged at AOL's discretion?

21. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I believe they were turned over when he left office.

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

It actually sounds worse using a public server that is more likely to get hacked than a politician using a private server to store files they have access to at work anyway.

23. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It's not. Comey already said that Hillary's server was less secure than a public service like Yahoo or AOL. Also, with a public server the emails are stored and not able to be permanently destroyed by the user. Hillary intentionally set up her server to keep everyone in the dark about what she was communicating and to delete all emails at her discretion. Her argument that it was "convenient" is a bold face lie. There is nothing convenient about setting up your own server when the State Department already has official server and infrastructure in place.

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I believe he turned him the emails when he left.
    In any case, AOL retains the emails. There is no possibility for the user to delete the server's backups, and then smashing the servers with hammers.

I believe that companies have to archive (that is, retain the index) for five years. I might be off with the time requirements, but AOL can't purge at its own discretion without incurring in legal problems.