Butthurt: A Poll

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Feb 10, 2016.

?

What does butthurt remind you off?

1. A spanking

9.4%
  2. Homophobia

3.1%
  3. Anal rape

12.5%
  4. Just another word overused on the net

75.0%
  1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

After reading the word BUTTHURT on a post here for the God who doesn't exist only knows time, I started to wonder how that word came to be the choice for so many who simply wanted a new way to call somebody a cry-baby. A little googling on the word's history led me to three different explanations for its origin.
    1. It's a reference to a spanking.
    2. It's homophobic. Like calling another
    Man a fag as a put down.
    3. It's referencing anal rape of either gender. Nothing makes someone feel
    More submissive then being held down and banged in the rush, I guess.
    4. Nobody really thinks of the meaning or history of the word when they write it. It's just synonymous with being a cry baby.
    So curious, when you use butthurt or read butthurt, do you think about it at all?

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Missing option: Beavis' best friend. :p

BL.

3. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

hemorrhoids. :D

or 9-5 office job.

... this is at least to a non-native-speaker ;)

4. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Hmm, definitely a good point to make, breaking it down like this. I don't think too hard when I hear it, but now that I am, it makes me think of the meaning "so angry that your butt starts to hurt," which, while it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, is pretty funny. :D

5. LizKat, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I didn’t vote in the poll. I suppose the last option would do, but what usually crosses my mind when I see the word here is actually “Again already with butthurt”. It's just crude and fairly offensive, like a lot of the other words that make it through the censorship module and probably shouldn't, since there's a list at all, which I'd be okay with not even having when I think about what's on it and what's not on it. This post will probably land in the trash since it touches on discussion of moderation, but in the meantime, there are my two cents...

By the time the 2016 primaries are over, we'll all be desensitized to extremely crude public language, no thanks to Donald Trump and his merry band of fans.

6. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Good. The final nail in the coffin for those religious zealots in the 90's who tried to push their morality onto others. Or, the final nail in the coffin for those liberal zealots of the 00's who tried to push their morality onto others.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Sorry to be so Brit (which I'm not by the way) the language of Shakespeare should be abused in such a way is cringeworthy,how do Americans demean the language so much."Butthurt?" Jesus wept there are dozens of better alternatives.And to quote John Cleese "What is the American obsession with "asses",which is a donkey and similar species.

8. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

None of those... or all of those. Its a specific, situational use of the word.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ok none of the above. But I guess a poll up the butt would hurt.

My definition is "Lighten up Francis", or, Cam Newton really felt butt hurt after that loss to the Broncos.

ButtHurt
    An inappropriately strong negative emotional response from a perceived personal insult. Characterized by strong feelings of shame. Frequently associated with a cessation of communication and overt hostility towards the "aggressor."

10. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

You didn't mention my choice: "A sore and bruised shoulder after firing my Merkel 40E side-by-side shotgun practically continuously for five minutes while bringing down a raging T-Rex. (Time machine malfunction--don't ask.)

11. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Butt hurt = Ass Whooping.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2016 ---
    It's #1.

#2 is s*** d***
    #3 is a** pirate, but can also be #2.
    #4 is well, nothing.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've seen and heard my fair share of UK-based comedy (which, it goes without saying, I enjoy immensely), and I would say that their obsession with sodomy humor is at least the equal of that of any other culture I've ever been exposed to.

Moreover the English, like the French, only became preoccupied with the use of "their" language after they began to lose control of it.

13. sim667 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't say we're preoccupied with it, I mean even the English bastardise it with text speak etc.

But Americans on here do seem to turn it into coded language, with abbreviations and silly made up words, in order to stop non americans being able to join in the conversation unfortunately. Thats on top of the fact that they mispronounce and misspell lots of words.

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Biscuit Ersed
    Gob-smacked
    Taking the piss

For a country named England, you people mangle the king's more than anyone. Yeah, I lived there for a few years, so I sure as hell know from experience. Get out of here with that garbage.

And what's funny is people getting butt-hurt over "butt-hurt".

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

Because unlike the US we have a history of using english that stretches back a little more than a couple of hundred years....

I've never heard biscuit ersed

"Gobsmacked" actually derives from the Scottish Gaelic word Gob (for mouth) so thats from way before an era that you can claim the brits "mangle the kings".

"Taking the piss" i think comes from the industrialised era's in England.

However "butthurt" doesn't really have any historical reference or value ;)

16. vrDrew, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016

vrDrew macrumors 65816

I didn't vote in the poll. The choices reminded me of some sort of verbal Rorschach test which would inevitably reveal my suppressed personality defects.

That said, I'm glad the OP brought the phrase up. I too have noticed it creeping into conversations, both online and off, with increasing regularity.

In some respects Butthurt has a vaguely transatlantic Newspeak quality about it (Ownlife; unperson; thoughtcrime) - create a new word by simply jamming two simple existing ones together. I guess, at its heart, to me it reveals some of the latent homophobia and violence present in white American life and vernacular. I guess it is somewhat less crudely offensive than the prevailing alternative: ****ed in the ass.

I remember some time ago reading an essay on the use of the expression "the N-Word." The author decried the practice, since it essentially outsourced the racist work, the speaker conveniently weaseling out and forcing you to form the offensive phrase in your own mind.

Thats what "Butthurt" does. Albeit at a third-grade level.

17. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Butthurt
    Adjective
    1. Cam Newton in his post game interview.

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

You bring in what you take with you.

Believe or not the first pain one typically feels on their rump is an ass slap from a parent after being naughty or constipation. It's something everyone can relate to hence the wide spread use of butthurt. It has a widespread appeal.

But feel free to make it about your cornhole.

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Maybe so.

But it is important to understand people often end up using words or expressions without really thinking about their meaning, or their origins. Many times this is inadvertent or innocent.

To cite a (to Americans) somewhat obscure example: For many, many years quite polite British people would use the expression "Berk" to describe a silly or foolish person. But when you look at where it came from... its not quite such a nice word. On more than one occasion I've heard my mother use the term, but I've never had the nerve to point out the origin of the phrase.

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

Warm beer is all you need to know about the English. How could they?

21. sim667 macrumors 65816

Our beer may not be refrigerated, but our lager is.

Beer doesn't taste right cold.

22. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Louis CK did a bit about that too.

23. Lord Blackadder, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016

Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

All languages are coded - do you really think Americans do it more than other English speakers? I've certainly never heard that. Rhyming slang is designed to do just what you are accusing Americans of doing.

Also don't forget that English is a living language that exists in thousands of dialects, not to the mention numerous creoles, pidgins, and slangs that are at least partly based on some version of English. What is "incorrect" and what is just different?

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Aside from our American egos and narcissistic tendencies, that's possibly because we're supposedly over the age of only 13 to be on here. All teens like to have private languages. Back in the day it was stuff like pig latin or abidabi (don't ask = dabont abask). Now it's agreed-upon dialects of textspeak that can shift from day to day.

As far as the spellings, misuse and effects of fat fingers and dimwitted spellcheckers go, well they can get posted by any of us now and then. But I do suspect a lot of them are from not having learned how to spell or use the proper words. In here we're not supposed to comment on "typos" (to be generous), so the forums hardly guarantee a learning experience in that regard. Once in awhile I see someone comment on "lose" vs "loose" but that's about it.

Funny how you can almost call someone a something or other by saying I'm not calling you a something or other, but God forbid we should offer anything more corrective than a fix to an obvious typo. PC lives!

And then there's me with my inability to type "2016 "reliably, and my 200wpm look ma no spellchecker approach to life, but I don't mind being kidded about that... lookin' at you @Renzatic or I think it was you... yes I'm going to live to 2106 and cast my vote in those primaries too :D

Sadly, there are those times when someone else has or has had the power to make me care about what's incorrect even if it's only different. Some of those times occurred at my grandmother's dinner table. Some others occurred during pre-college admission exams! I feel fortunate I could rise to the occasion of the latter, and lucky to have survived the former. :eek:

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I respect your dedication.