Buttons no longer working - is there a way to get to the home screen using touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RichmondVA, Feb 7, 2010.

1. RichmondVA macrumors newbie

I recently experienced the classic phone-in-toilet situation. Luckily, it hasn't completely given out on me yet. The touch screen works like nothing happened, but the buttons do absolutely nothing. This leaves me with no way to activate the phone once it goes to sleep without receiving a text message, call, or plugging it in. Fortunately, I can plug an iTrip into the bottom which will wake it up.

I've done my fair share of reading and I know that there isn't anything I can do about the buttons. I've also found out that it is possible to get a fairly reasonably priced replacement if I bring my phone to the store. My current situation obviously isn't ideal, but it will cut it while I save money.

the one question I have left is about being able to return to the home screen. Is there any kind of app or setting that would allow me to use the touch screen to return home? At the moment, I am stuck in the SMS app (which will allow me to do the necessities - calling and texting) and cannot change apps without letting the battery die and opening a new one the next time I plug it in.

2. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

If you're willing to jailbreak, there's an SBSettings plugin that simulates the home button.

3. RichmondVA thread starter macrumors newbie

It's tempting, but since I'm worried it might eventually give out all together, I'm afraid to do anything that would negate any chances of a cheap replacement in the long run. I don't wanna be stuck using the iTrip to activate it forever

4. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

A local repairer should be able to look at that for you for a reasonable price. If the logic board is good, it shouldn't cost too much to change out the wiring harness etc.

Regards

Spencer

5. RichmondVA thread starter macrumors newbie

Any ballpark figure on what it'd cost? I'm pretty strapped for cash at the moment and that's one of those things I'd like to have a grasp on before going out of my way to have anything done. Plus I'm in school and don't have a car, so I'd hate to have a friend drive me somewhere only to have it end up being too expensive and wasting their time.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'd just pay the $199 for an out of warranty replacement, if I were you, and not mess with a repair person.

7. dgriffiths3 macrumors newbie

If your top power button works and you have a passcode you can do it pretty easily and quickly. When running an application:

1st - press the power button once to lock the phone
    2nd - slide to unlock
    3rd - press the emergency calls button
    4th - press the back button on the bottom left and type in your passcode

you will now be on the home page, if you have to do this often like me then you will get fast at it so it won't be such a problem