buy 2 phone but keep only one

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
I got a family plan with AT&T with two lines. I want to buy two iphone 5 but keep only one and sell the other. does AT&T charge me anything (beside activation) after I switch from iphone 5 to a dump phone?

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I got a family plan with AT&T with two lines. I want to buy two iphone 5 but keep only one and sell the other. does AT&T charge me anything (beside activation) after I switch from iphone 5 to a dump phone?
Pretty sure you get the subsidy in exchange for your data plan, etc. In other words, I don't think they'll help you pay for an iPhone only to have you lower your plan to a cheap dumb phone plan.

GL!

Comment

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Pretty sure you get the subsidy in exchange for your data plan, etc. In other words, I don't think they'll help you pay for an iPhone only to have you lower your plan to a cheap dumb phone plan.

GL!
i thought the cost of subsidy is the 2-year contact.

say you got an iphone but then lost it and force to get a cheap dump phone. do you still pay for data even if your dump can't use it? the only difference between smartphone and dump phone is the cost of data.

Comment

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Do this -

Purchase iPhone 5 with your upgrade - ask them not to open the iPhone 5 - sell it

Use your 2nd upgrade to purchase iPhone 5- activate on your line.

My iPhone came from my mom no data upgradeable line. They didnt force her to have a data plan.
Also - another line on my moms account was up for an upgrade. Purchased an iPhone 4s (5 wasnt out) and sold it - never forced her to have a data plan.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.