Buy 2 watches and keep one untouched as an investment??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Aces2412, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Aces2412 macrumors regular

I think that this has been asked before but since this is apple watch 1 do you think an un-used original apple watch 10 years from now will be worth more as a collectors item?

Was thinking of buying a 2nd watch and keeping it in the safe. How much is an new original iPhone worth?

2. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Here are some quick prices I found on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhon...167?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2f8f7387

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Collec...381?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a367f0c8d

3. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

eBay asking prices do not equal sold prices. You should really check the completed listings and sold listings boxes when searching. You will find that almost all of the original iPhone sales on ebay are under $100.

OP, no. You will be wasting your money unless you can cash in on the initial high demand, low stock craze that may or may not happen. In 10 years, it will be worthless except for maybe the Edition, although even that will be worth far less than what was paid.

4. mikezmac macrumors 6502a

mikezmac

In a long haul (20 years) it will pay off as long as apple keeps its standing. A brand new out of the box, yes IF 2000 other people don't have the same idea ;)

The first Apple computers are running for fortunes now if the still work. But it's a chancy market. Lots of ifs BUT if you have the extra cash and don't mind, go for it. Just don't get the sport band. Rubbers can break down over the years, fade etc.

5. silentbob007 macrumors regular

There's quite a difference though between a start-up's fledgling product and something produced in the millions, rolled out world wide, and heavily advertised.

Honestly you'd probably be better investing in anything else if you wanted to actually make money ... and this is coming from someone who has invested in cologne in the past.

6. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

[​IMG]

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

If you keep one in a box , unopened , maybe, depends on what happens with the watch going forward.

There are much better ways to invest than keeping a watch in an original box for that period.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Maybe in 30 years it could be worth more as a novelty but very old in the box IPhones are not setting people free financially.

9. Aces2412 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. It would be better just to buy a few more shares of AAPL.

10. Tritto macrumors member

If you're going to stash one of the high end models away I'd suggest you spend the same money on a Rolex sub or Daytona and keep it new in box. A much better chance of holding or increasing value. Better yet, put your money in the bank or invest in shares. You'll earn a lot more over 20 years.

11. Jackmalyono macrumors newbie

What's the difference whether you use it or you keep it in the safe ?

12. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

If your looking for an investment, take the $430 that you would spend on the sport model and buy 13 shares of ATT at $32.75 ($425.75 total) Then opt to reinvest dividends. Since ATT is paying a 5.75% dividend you would have $2,150 at the end of 10 years and thats assuming that the price of ATT stays the same over the next 10 years. If the price goes up then you have more than $2,150

13. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Only if it's an Edition edition.

Those will be scarce in and of themselves. So NIB would likely be worth something 10 years from now.

14. Mrbobb macrumors 601

You have gone the deep end my friend.

if you have an iPhone1 with the signatures of the design team, call me.

15. 96-HUDSON-96 Suspended

96-HUDSON-96

I would wait until the end of the cycle of the watch and then buying one, doubt it will be worth too much - not "classic" enough like an original iPod touch or an NES. Needs to be more of that generation to be honest

16. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Buy now as it is going down quickly!

17. 96-HUDSON-96 Suspended

96-HUDSON-96

buy now because the price will go cheap? wut

18. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

wut?

Do you own stock? DO you keep track of the market?

Did you mom pack your lunch today?:p

19. 96-HUDSON-96 Suspended

96-HUDSON-96

Oh I just thought we were talking about the apple watch rather some shares...
    So try to stay on topic

20. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

Yeah, a friend did this with 2 iPods. I guess it was the first and second. Still unpack with the original seal.