Buy 3GS at full retail now, then another at discount later?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psymac, Jun 11, 2009.

1. psymac macrumors 6502

ATT says I qualify for a full discount price of $299 for the 3GS 32gb on or after 07/29/09, but can buy one at full retail of $699 now.

Really would rather not wait until then, I'm thinking of buying the 3GS 32gb now for full retail of $699, use it for about six weeks, then buy another 3GS after 7/29 at the discount of $299 and then eBay this new one.

Not sure if ATT will let me do this, and even so, would a new 3GS sell for near the full retail of $699 to recoup my cost?

2. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Probably not, unless they manage to jailbreak and unlock 3.0 by the time you upgrade (which is highly unlikely).

I don't think someone would spend that much on a used eBay iPhone when they could just go purchase their own brand new for the same price.

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

I don't think that's anywhere near worth the time and money involved, but whatever. A contract-free, possibly unlocked iPhone could go for quite a bit on ebay.

Call AT&T to confirm that you will still be eligible for subsidized pricing later in July.

4. psymac thread starter macrumors 6502

Called ATT, they said I'd still be eligilbe for the discount since I'm buying at full retail without any contract changes.

Might have to eat about $50-100 to do this, depending on how much I can sell the 3GS I'm not going to use.

5. bjquach macrumors 6502

AT&T are the only people that can answer this question for you