Buy a MBP 17 i5,is it worth right now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackzhu521, Apr 28, 2010.

  1. jackzhu521 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    #1
    Hi all,

    I heard that Apple probably will update to a new edition in June,and aslo have many friends told me about this news. They are all apple super fans,but me as well. However,I don't know anything about this news. I wonder is this correct? Should I buy a MBP with i5 right now? Is it worth? If Apple really updates to USB3.0 and 6Gbps,I can wait until get my right one:)........

    By the way,how is the temperature of MBP i5? i7 is just so hot,it can boil water through MBP i7.:D
     
  2. MPBandJ macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2010
    #2
    There will not be an update in June.

    Buy it now.

    Also, consider spending the extra $200 to get the i7. It will not boiler water.
     
  3. moel macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2007
    #3
    Wow...what have you been smoking? May I have some....

    There are no rumours, of a MBP update....there are mutterings that they MIGHT put i3's in the 13" but thats about it.

    If you want USB 3 etc, you'll be waiting until well into october november time...possibly next year.

    Does that help your decision?

    ALSO FYI i7 15" here it NEVER goes above 85 degrees, and the whole 100 degree thing has been written off as crap as the screenshots show the facts at 2000rpm...which indicates SMC alteration, or a dodgy MBP.
     
  4. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #4
    A June release would make many Apple consumers very unhappy.

    There will probably be an iPod rebate for Back-to-School for higher education students ahead of the usual September iPod event.
     
  5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

    scaredpoet

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    #5
    No, definitely no update in June. June is iPhone Season, and Apple would not steal the iPhone's thunder with another update. Besides, even though Apples product release cycle might be aggressive, it's not that aggressive. If the current cycle holds out, there won't be updates on the Macbook Pro until at least the holiday season, if not into 2011. And even then, my guess would be that it would be something that wouldn't affect what you're buying, something minor like maybe light speed increases on the CPUs, and maybe the 13 inchers would get updated to i5s or something. MAYBE.

    And, if the turnaround on updates really were so quick that new models would come in June, and you absolutely wanted to always have the latest and greatest MBP, you'd NEVER buy because there'd always be an update right around the corner.

    Just evaluate what you plan on doing with it, and see if it fits those needs. If it does, great! Go buy one and don't obsess over the future.

    I bought my first Macbook in 2007, just a little over two weeks before the newer, faster Santa Rosa version came out (I was totally unaware of the product cycles at the time). It was annoying when I realized the situation I was in, but at the same time what I had was still perfectly fine for what I needed. And it continued to be fine for three more years. In fact, that MBP would still be serving me just fine if someone hadn't broken into my car a couple weeks ago and stolen it. And considering MBPs of that same vintage are fetching more than $500 bids on eBay, the thief made off pretty well, unfortunately.

    At least this time, I knew a refresh was imminent and waited until it happened before I bought my replacement. And I fully expect this MBP will totally last me another 3 years, if not longer.

    Bottom line: the refresh just happened. The timing is not going to get any better for buying a Macbook Pro. And even if you were at the wrong end of the cycle, it would still last you a very long time.
     
  6. furious macrumors 65816

    furious

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    Location:
    Australia
    #6
    Intel's next range of i core processors is not released until Q3 2010. I would not expect an update before October. :D:D:D
     
  7. jackzhu521 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    #7
    No hell no,i7 is not safe:D:D boil water:confused::confused::confused:
     
  8. moel macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2007
    #8
    It doesn't boil water!!!!

    (it's about the only thing it doesn't do)

    buy the i7, it gives you moar BOOST when using non threaded apps, and it's basically better than the i5.
     
  9. jackzhu521 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    #9
    yeah man,probaly will buy a new one in that months again:D
     
  10. jackzhu521 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    #10
    My decision is change to i5,although I have done my order,but will change it on tomorrow..a little bit worried about i7.:D i5 is just awesome.
     
  11. jackzhu521 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    #11
    Guess what will Apple do on September iPod event?:D
     
  12. jackzhu521 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    #12
    Thank you dude,much much appreciated. I just learnt a lot from your nice and amazing explanation.:D
     
  13. moel macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2007
    #13
    Still don't really understand what your worry with the i7 is....

    but whatever...if you don't want to buy the best then don't...
     

Share This Page