Buy a PSP Go and get 10 (ten) games for free? (Update: It's real!)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, May 29, 2010.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

http://www.vg247.com/2010/05/26/sony-to-introduce-new-pspgo-sales-promotion/

Wow, sounds like they're getting desperate. And ten good games, too....Gran Turismo, Little Big Planet, MotorStorm Arctic Edge, Chinatown Wars, etc...

If they offer it like that in my region, I might actually consider it. The ten games are worth more than the hardware itself when you add it up.

Definitely need to wait and see if those PSP2 @ E3 rumors have any substance though...

2. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I keep seeing conflicting information on this....some articles say you only get ONE of those ten games, others say you get ALL of them.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's an outstanding deal if you get all 10. It's still stupidly expensive here. The DSi is down to £120 in some stores here whilst the Go is still at £180. I tell you if that dropped to 100 I'd have one, since I'd be paying more than store prices for games. I just bought a sealed, collectors edition of Gran Turismo for £8.99. PSN can't offer such a killer deal :(.

4. Curb macrumors newbie

Great offer if it is the case but I read it was one title out of the list - just can't see them giving you every decent title for free.

5. kieranistheman macrumors newbie

i think thats a great deal can you trade a psp 3000 for a psp go

6. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I wouldn't bother until after E3 as rumours are Sony may announce the proper PSP2 to counter act the DS 2, it will have possibly a 4 core Core chip like the one in the PS3!!
    But if nothing happens then meh, I still think Sony will announce something by end of the year.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ok no. A handheld isn't going to use a 4-core Cell processor. The power requirements alone would be through the roof. Also why would you need 4 cores in a portable device pumping images to a 3-4" display? I can't believe how gullible some people can be.

8. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The PS3 doesn't have 4 cores either.

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

The PSP dosen't sell very well at all compared to the DS, and the Go hasn't done particularly well either. That said, there are some cracking games on the platform and I hope Sony doesn't discontinue it - Motorstorm, ModNation Racers and LittleBigPlanet are all amazing games on the PSP.

Personally, I think the DS is a bit boring, both in terms of games and hardware. It seems to be either aimed at young children or older people (For example the DSi XL), not 'proper' gamers.

10. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Probably in some stores. Here in the UK there's a chain called Game that do trade-ins like that, and Play.com does something similar too.

I don't think Sony is doing anything like that though - you can still get a PSP 3000 new as well as the Go.

11. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Are you a design engineer mate? Do you work for Sony, working on the Cell CPU chip?
    If not then shut up please. You can't stand there and state that as a fact as you have no proof or idea. What I said has been widely speculated in the news and has much more credibility then what you say with no proof.
    And why does the iPhone need an Arm dual core chip then? You also need to remember this is a cell CPU, it's totally different to an Intel dual or Quad core chip.

Here's one good article:
    http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/news/mini-4-core-cell-processor-is-feasible-for-psp-2-012424.php

And here's another on the Toshiba televisions that use the SAME cell CPU as the PS3 which I guess you also see as pointless?

http://tacp.toshiba.com/mediahub/BlogEngine/post/CELL-TV.aspx

So cell technology has a place for tech including the PSP, for someone to instantly state the idea as 'people being gullible' I find is ignorant of Sony and what they are capable off.
    Do you need 3D on the next DS? No. You could also state it's impossible to do it without glasses but they are/ have.

Sorry for the long reply but it winds me up when people call me gullible when they have no proof to back there claims.

12. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I know that. I meant it as in its the same Cell CPU technology.

I still wouldn't buy a PSP until after E3.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have a few friends who develop games for Sony.

But no. There's a world of difference between dual and quad core. The DS has 2 processors. But Quad? Do you have any idea how unnecessary that is for a handheld games device? We're not talking about home consoles here, we're talking about devices that output an image to a 4" display that has to run off a battery.

If you want to see where the next PSP and DS are headed look a little ahead of the iPhone and not at some magical unicorn of a device that will also project 1080p HD graphics onto the wall and use bluray discs.

Oh and it's not impossible for 3D without glasses. Autostereoscopic 3D has been around for a couple of years.

14. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

wow your so wrong on so many levels. First you don't seem to understand my main points and you don't seem to know what the cell CPU actually is. Your almost using it in your argument as a normal quad core processor which it isn't.
    And I would never be dumb enough to look at what Nintendo and Apple are doing to know what Sony are doing as Sony haveand always will do there own thing including puttng a cell CPU in a psp to allow for much better games. You don't seem to understand this?

15. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Wow, if there are some more AAA titles in the list, I might actually buy a PSP Go. And I'm pretty much the most anti-PSP person out there. :p

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I do understand your points, there would be a parity for developing PS3 and PSP games and it's certainly possible. Even the PS3 only has 1 core, so why you're believing rumours of a quad core Cell CPU in a PSP is beyond me.

FWIW Sony don't do their own thing. Their entire console history started by co-developing a product with Nintendo, even the PS3 has been playing "me too" with motion controls, their own Mii's, their renamed achievement system.
    All 3 manufacturers have to have similarly specced machines so games can be ported. Look at all the current systems, they're not worlds apart (except for the Wii that has enough backing to do whatever they want) and we've had so many exclusive games go multiplatform.

17. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I believe a 4 core Cell CPU with 1 Core and 3 SPE's is more then possible, the roadmap at in on of the links I posted stated it as a possibility.
    and Sony do their own thing. Yes the controller copied the Wii but that's it. It has a blue-ray player and it has the Cell CPU. All very unique to Sony and all Sony's way of doing things. The PS3 is phenomenally powerful and will outlast the others, but it cost way more to develop too.

18. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Phenomenally? Not really. It's been outstripped by PCs for years.

19. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

No it hasn't actually, PC's have not outstripped it for years, what did we have at the PS3 launch, Core Duo's? They may beat it now but they haven't done it for years. The Cell CPU is damn powerful, why do you think the US air Force has them linked to each other as a cheap super computer, well it did until Sony stopped the use of Linux hahaha.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And you expect a "super computer" CPU in a handheld gaming device?

21. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Well, looks like someone here is slowly exposing himself as a blatant fanboi....I'll let you figure out who it is! ;)

22. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like the deal is real!!

At least if you live in "Australia, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom".

Different countries get different games. Living in Germany, I get the following list:

* Buzz!: Quiz World (Argh, what the crap...)
    * Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier (cool!)
    * Gran Turismo (okay, I guess)
    * James Cameron’s AVATAR (crud)
    * LittleBigPlanet (cool!)
    * MotorStorm Arctic Edge (cool!)
    * Need for Speed SHIFT (cool...I think?)
    * Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice (what the hell is that?)
    * 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (probably good for a soccer game...)
    * WipEout Pure (cool!)

Blast this country and its "no violence" agenda...our neighbors are getting GTA Chinatown Wars and Assassin's Creed! And we are getting "Buzz!: Quiz World"! How is this justice??? :eek:

Still a damn good deal, and it's good till September 30th. I'll wait a few months and see what happens on the PSP2 front, I am considering picking one up before the offer expires!

Source (in German): http://blog.de.playstation.com/2010...-pspgo-und-ihr-bekommt-zehn-spiele-geschenkt/
    In English: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/06/01/buy-a-new-pspgo-and-get-10-free-games/

23. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The Cell chip used in the PS3 is powerful, and still is, in particular at multi-threaded tasks. However, the PS3's GPU is piss-poor compared to a modern GPU (it's roughly equivalent to a 7600GT...) and the PS3 is also a bit lacking in the RAM department.

Now, I love my PS3s, but I can see their flaws. Sony created an imbalanced machine - if they had more RAM onboard (say, 512MB opposed to 256MB) and a faster GPU then we'd be laughing. As it is, PCs were "beating" the PS3 not that long after launch due to the increasing importance being placed on GPUs in modern computing.

tl;dr: CPU means little, it's all about the GPU

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless