Buy a used 8-core 2.8 (plus upgrades) or new 2.26 (little upgrades)?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dannymarr, Mar 3, 2009.

1. dannymarr macrumors member

I'd just like your input as to the dilemma I have. I live in Australia and have to options availabe to me.

Which one would you choose to run Final Cut Studio 2 and After Effects?

mac pro 2008 (Used)

Price: $AU5,500
    CPU: 2.8 Ghz
    RAM: 14GB DDR2
    HDD: 1.5TB 7200rpm
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce 8800GT with 512mb
    Superdrive: Two
    Airport Extreme: Yes (IEEE 802.11n)
    Applecare: 2 years left

OR

Mac Pro 2009 (New)

Price: $AU5,749.01 (Edu discount)
    CPU: 2.26 Ghz
    RAM: 8GB DDR3
    HDD: 640GB 7200rpm
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 120 with 512mb
    Superdrive: Two
    Airport Extreme: Yes (IEEE 802.11n)
    Applecare: None

Keeping in mind I'll be using Final Cut Studio 2 and After Effects?

Thanks for the feedback!

2. OlBlueHair macrumors regular

3. dannymarr thread starter macrumors member

Is it more important to have a better CPU or RAM for Final Cut and After Effects?

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

CPU, you can always upgrade to more RAM

5. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

6. TrapOx macrumors 6502

7. Rmafive macrumors 6502

The newer processor is MUCH faster! A higher number of gigahertz does not always mean more speed. The processors in the 2008 Mac Pro were top of the line 2 years ago, obviously things have somewhat changed. The newer mac pro will be much faster in every aspect of computing. :D

8. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

9. TrapOx macrumors 6502

ONLY if the software can actually take advantage of the architecture changes.

No. The entire "2x" claim is marketing BS. Note they always say "up to 2x"

10. dannymarr thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm... I had a feeling that the CPU is more important. The 2.26ghz "Gainstown" from what I have been reading whilst cruising the forums should be the same or faster in most applications compared to the 2.8 "Hapertown."

The fact remains...we don't know for certain until the benchmarks flow in. Have to wait a bit longer to make an informed descision.

Let's think of a hyportetical
    Say in 1-2 years would it be possible to acquire a 2.66ghz or 2.93ghz "Gainstown" and install it into the Mac Pro?

11. dannymarr thread starter macrumors member

If it's true. That's good...but it still feels wrong to choose a 2.26ghz over a 2.8ghz :p

12. Fomaphone macrumors regular

i guess it comes down to how much of a performance bump you expect from snow leopard...

it might make more sense to get the 2008 so that when you get Snow Leopard you'll have eight physical cores instead of four physical and four logical, even though they have l2. consider that on the 64-bit system, what will slow you down the most will be your hard drives if you sell the 14 you have and put 32GB of ram in that machine. the hdd's here are essentially the same (SATA 72k RPM, no raid) in each of these two machines.

i might put my money on the 2.8 just so that i could fill it with cheap RAM some time soon. the 8gb limit of the quad really bothers me.

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

Wait for benchmarks to be sure of which way things go.

Personally, the Nehalem architecture is nice, and technically capable of outperforming the Harpertowns, there's limits on how much of a gap in clock speed can occur before that advantage is lost. I'm not convinced 2.26GHz Xeon E5520 can consistently outperform the 2.8Ghz Harpertown (E5462). Equivalent is more likely IMO.
    If you get an Octo version, yes. It's looking like the Quad core variants are Single Processor boards, and use W35xx parts.
    Say you put Snow Leopard on both an '09 MP and an '08 MP. All other testing criteria being equal.

SL would be nice, and offer a performance boost, it still comes down to hardware making the differences between the two machines. ;)

You can't escape the hardware... it will get you ... //Imagine movie announcer voice. :p

14. dannymarr thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I agree. From past experiences would this take 2-3weeks?

So at this point in time it's safe to say that the 2.26ghz gainstown is at least the same as a 2.8ghz hapertown?

That's helpful to know. I might consider getting the 2.26ghz and upgrade later if, and only if it's cheaper after a few years. Could even slightly overclock the 2.26ghz whilst waiting?

Yes...scary.:eek:

15. m1stake macrumors 68000

In the city, you fight to survive. HE sold tortillas on the corner...

And the Mob wanted in... (Cut to Italian mobster)

"I dunno who dis guy is but I want him and his tortillas, I want 'em DEAD (BOOM!)

He had one chance.. And his chance was to fight back - Arnold Schwarzenegger (Cut to Arnold)

"Listen to me these are my tortillas and I'm not going to give them up here"

"you have to get out of here they're trying to kill you! Get out! Get out!"

Double the action... Triple the excitement ("Get down!") More excitement ("Get down again!")

They didn't know who he was. (Frantic woman speaking in spanish, then english)

"What do they want?" "Cornia, you have to get out of here! They're trying to TAKE MY TORTI-"

(Automatic weapons) (Heartbeats)

One man... One solution (BOOM)... Arnold Schwarzenegger is ("RAAAAAHH!!" Automatic weapons) Little Tortilla Boy...

16. Fomaphone macrumors regular

my point is that with 32gb of RAM in the octo and 8gb in the quad, you'll have a more capable machine with the octo with a 64 bit OS... beyond the 4gb barrier

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm hoping it will be a little quicker than that, but it will depend on how long it takes for reviewers to get their hands on them.

I think so, and hopefully it will.

I still want to see the benchmarks, as that much of a difference in clock speed concerns me a little.

I doubt Apple's given the ability to OC in the firmware. You'd have to rely on a 3rd party developer, or figure out a way to do it on the chip itself.

I plan to download what I can to see if this is possible. At this point, I assume it is.

18. dannymarr thread starter macrumors member

LOL! :D That was entertaining.

Cool. We'll just wait and see.

Hopefully benchmarks will be out soon.:rolleyes: