Buy air now and sell if 13" retina pro comes out in Oct?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jena55, Jun 15, 2012.

  1. jena55 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2009
    #1
    Hi,

    I, like many of you, were really hoping for a 13" retina pro. Now that one wasn't released, I think I may need to go ahead and purchase something because I am taking classes and only have a desktop. That works fine when I am at home, but I have some work trips this fall and will need to stay up with my classes on the road.

    So... I was thinking of buying the 13" air now and selling it later if a 13" retina pro is released. I know I will obviously lose money, but I guess I would consider that the price to have a laptop the next few months (or longer). My question is, if something is released this fall, what are your guesstimates on how much someone could get reselling a base 13" air? I am just wondering how much I stand to lose by going this direction.

    Any insight? I know it is just guessing.

    Thanks!
     
  2. fotuwe macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2009
    #2
    You buy a computer to work with or as a hobby...?
     
  3. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2007
    Location:
    London, United Kingdom (UK)
    #3
    Apple loves consumers like you.

    If you need (and want) a new machine now - then buy the MBA - it sounds like it will be plenty for most of your needs and will still be more than in enough in a few years let alone October this year.

    Buying a new rumoured 13 inch retina MBP in October will do nothing for you except harm your pocket and give you a nice shiny new screen.
     
  4. jena55 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2009
    #4
    haha. I know you are right. I have just been holding out so long and I like the looks of the pro more than the air... other than the current screen... that'd it kill me to not be able to get it if it is released. If I didn't have a trip in sept that I need a laptop for, I'd just wait. Maybe if I get the air now, by October I will be accustomed to it and not care about the retina pro anymore.
     
  5. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2007
    Location:
    London, United Kingdom (UK)
    #5
    I prefer the looks of the air to the pro - but each to their own I suppose.

    If you are happy to wait - then wait - but keep in mind it could easily be next year till we see a 13inch retina display - this is the thing with the waiting game.

    If I were you - I would get the air, spec it to your liking and enjoy a very good machine.
     
  6. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #6

    lol nice.

    I have a better idea for OP. Buy 13" Air now, then sell for 13" MBPr. Apple then releases the 13" MBAr shortly after, making you yearn for the 13" MBAr. So you sell the 13" MBPr and obtain the MBAr. But wait! Just a short time after that Apple comes out with something truly revolutionary again.
     
  7. brentsg macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2008
    #7
    Or it gives the user a device that better suits the intended purpose. It's not that difficult to sell used Macs. The improvements can often often be worth the upgrade price. You can make an argument that it's better to upgrade periodically and keep current, spending a bit here and there rather than keeping a machine until it's worn out and worth nothing.

    Besides, it's silly to be beholden to rumors of what might or might not happen, especially if you really need something now.
     
  8. jena55 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2009
    #8
    I can appreciate your humor, but that is actually exactly the opposite of the type of person I am. Normally, if I buy a product, I hold onto until it is no longer serving it's purpose for me anymore. I have a 2008 imac that still works wonderfully, and I will not upgrade that until it starts failing me. I still expect that to be quite a while. The only reason I am even considering getting a laptop now is because of my need to travel soon.... but what I really want is a 13" retina. Knowing I missed it by just a few months would suck, because I wouldn't be in the market for a laptop again for many years. I'm considering selling a product early just this one time to avoid that and that is why i wanted to know what people normally get for macbook airs after a few months of use. It is definitely not ideal, but I am just weighing some options.
     
  9. Barney Stinson macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2012
    #9
    Hi

    I'm sort of in the same situation. I personally chose a cheap laptop for now and and use the desktop for heavier tasks. Now it's atleast posible to do the basics on the go. That way you can hold on and wait just a litle longer and get the machine you're accualy intrested in.
     
  10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    #10
    I think that the 2012 Airs should hold their value pretty well, especially through October. You might lose a couple hundred dollars, but I don't think it will be too bad.

    That's also a decision you can make when you get to that point. If for some weird reason by October used 2012 13" Airs are selling for $400, just keep yours and keep using it.

    Basically if you need a laptop now then get one. It's a great time to buy a Macbook Air. If there is a 13" Retina Macbook Pro and if it is released in October and if it looks like it would be worth the upgrade to you and if it looks like you can sell your 13" Air for a decent price and if you can afford the difference to the 13" Retina MBP then you should possibly consider upgrading at that point in time. :)

    If that doesn't all work out, you will still have gotten a good laptop at a good price that will do what you need to do.
     
  11. revs macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
    Location:
    Worcestershire
    #11
    I think its highly unlikely there will be an update in October, at the earliest I would say Jan/Feb. But more likely I'd say the 2013 update.

    Why would they release the non retina 13 now, only to upgrade it in 3 or so months. Can't see it happening.
     
  12. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #12
    If you need one now buy it, if not wait. You'll lose some money in the buy now, sell a couple of months down the line option. If you're ok with that, then go for it.
     
  13. dcorban macrumors 6502a

    dcorban

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    #13
    I just acquired a new Air, and I am planning to exactly that whenever a 13" retina is released. If you keep your Air in mint condition, it will only lose $100-200 in value (if sold in 3-4 months). No big loss.
     
  14. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

    jmgregory1

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    Location:
    Chicago and a few other places around the world
    #14
    Get the air - love the air for what it is. I'm sure having an even higher res screen would be nice - who doesn't want sharper images, better contrast, etc?

    But your comment about wanting a laptop for travel tells me you would be happier with an air than a pro r, because no matter what, the air will be lighter. I just can't see going back to a heavy (relatively speaking) laptop like the pro's, unless you have to have the bigger screen of the 15" pro-r model.

    For me, the next upgrade would be a 15" air, should Apple build such a machine. The pro-r looks great, but I want/need to have a lightweight laptop like the air (I have a '11 13" air) and traveling with it is phenomenal. Heck, even carrying it from spot to spot around the house is so much easier than my wife's 13" pro. She chooses to use my air all the time because of that (and the speed vs her "pro").
     

Share This Page