Buy an Ebook reader for this holiday season... or wait for Apple's iTablet?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by I'm a Mac, Dec 3, 2009.

1. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

I travel quite a bit- and as I pondered new gadgets for this holiday season, all of the buzz on the new Ebook readers came to mind. I'm not a real "bookworm" but I do like to read and I really like how Ebook readers display digital content- I find it much easier to read then on my MacBook. However, after all of the buzz on Apple's tablet and how it may revolutionize digital content (the latest mock-up video from Time Inc looked awesome), I now find myself questioning my decision to go with a "nook" or a Kindle for this season- am I better off waiting to see what Apple brings us?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There is no clue when the tablet comes, but...I'd get an eBook reader and then determine if the tablet will even fit your needs. The one thing about the Kindle is that I feel the screen is the easier to read then much of any other screen on the market.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

How patient are you?

I gonna vote for "never gonna happen" for an apple branded tablet.

Thats a long time to wait.

4. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I agree with people above that you should buy kindle/any other e-book reader now as its still not confirmed if apple will launch its tablet and when will they launch it. I also think it will be pretty expensive...possibly double the price of the e-book reader...

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Let me state I'm in the "It's going to happen, but the question is when" camp.

6. P Mentior macrumors regular

Let me say that I just received a Kindle and I find it much easier to read on for longer periods of time than any LCD screen. If you are just looking for something to read books on or other traditionally printed material I would recommend an eBook reader over something like a tablet. If you are looking for much more then that maybe a tablet would be a good choice, but if you want a mac tablet be prepared to wait or look into a ModBook.

7. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

I know the envisaged product is best described as a tablet, but I think the name of iPad, that some people have offered recently, will be a natural fit within ipod and iphone family.

8. Bbusyb macrumors member

Bbusyb

I'll say get the eBook reader now, and enjoy it as there is noting concrete as to if or when the Apple tablet is going to come out.

As a frequent traveller, I've found that a eBook reader is godsent as I can carry a ton of books with me without having to worry about weight, or local availability.

Having said that, I'll suggest considering other readers besides the kindle, if having wireless access to the store is not a requirement. While I love the pricing and availability of the the Kindle store, the Lock in had me decide to go with another reader.

I'll suggest checking out the Mobilread Forums for a lot of good information on what out there, and what coming to help you make your decision.

9. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I have a Sony Reader the 300 one of the new 5 inch models and its fantastic. Screen is really bright clear and readable, yet the unit fits in my pocket. There's no way a Tablet is going to be pocketable. The tablet will be a nice multi functional device, ereading being one of the functions. But I would not buy one if thats your sole purpose. Sony Reader + Calibre, lets you use and convert a lot of different formats to be readable on the device, you're not locked in like you are with a kindle.

10. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I am personally waiting to see what Apple does in the next year before getting into the ebook reader scene even though I probably would not go with the Apple one if there isn't e-ink involved.

I am not terribly satisfied with the current distribution method or pricing of ebooks, and this is the one area where Apple will probably force everyone else to fine-tune the distribution models.

11. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Keep in mind if you want an eBook reader for the holiday season they are rapidly selling out.

The Kindle is the only wireless one that has a shot at being in stock for christmas; the B&N nook and the Sony Reader Daily Edition are both sold out/almost sold out.

In January at CES a TON of new eBook readers are set to appear...

If you can hold off until March-ish I think they'll be a bigger selection of tablets and readers to choose from...but if you need one RIGHT NOW the Sony Pocket Edition and the Kindle 2 are both great buys.

12. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

Get one now

I have a Kindle and love it. Most of my books are free, public domain, which is easy to download on the Kindle if you go to Mobi books and download the software. (The Kindle support group on Amazon will have this information.) I also selectively buy e-books from Amazon and that's great as well.

For me, the deciding issue is the screen. E-ink technology is far easier on the eyes (and the device's battery) than LCD screens. Most people who dismiss this as a concern aren't avid readers. And if they complain about needing to carry a dedicated book reader around, they probably don't carry books around either.

But there's nothing like having dozens of books on one smallish device. Once you make the leap, you'll never want to go back. (Caveat: Kindle works best for texts you read straight through; it's possible but difficult to move around in a text.)

13. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I'd say get one now. We still don't know any details about Apple's tablet (if they actually even do release one in 2010!).

Chances are you can probably resell your ereader next year and get back most of your money to put towards the Apple.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Another vote to get one now. Right now, the Apple tablet is just pure speculation. There is no telling if Apple will ever make one. That said, at this point in time the Nook may not be available until after Christmas. Given what I've seen about it, I prefer the Nook over the Kindle.

15. tyke65 macrumors member

I tried the Sony reader and didn't like the way the screen blacks out as you turn pages. Also it's not lit (the one I tried). I like to read in bed with the light out so the iPod Touch with ereader (you can convert and transfer your own text or buy from ereader) is perfect for me. I'm waiting for the tablet but not holding my breath.

16. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Sounds like you're not too sure if you want an e-reader at all. I'm in the same boat. Since I have an iPhone(also available for blackberry), I'm trying the B&N and Kindle Apps (free + book price) to first see if I will really be reading that much more on the go(it is pretty convenient) and to see if I really need one more device around here. I'm sure I would love it, but so far the iPhone experience is winning me over once you customize the pages (black background with light colored text - for me anyway). If it turns out you don't like it, you only lose the cost of the books, and you can sample for free if you want, which will then only risks your time. So far in my "experiment," which has only been a few days, I realized the delivery method is the exact same, so you are able to read on a subway, airplane, etc, without a connection after it has been delivered.

17. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright now that it's pretty clear that an ebook reader's function won't be duplicated by whatever device apple is planning the question is which to get...

I liked the Kindle when I saw it but is it worth waiting till January for the nook? I want something that can download books wirelessly and had a nice selection- any advice on which to buy?

18. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Amazon's books appear to be cheaper. May be better to decide based on that.

19. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I would wait until January to see what the Nook looks like. An Apple Tablet is a much different device than an eReader. The screens on eReaders is much better for readings than a tablet screen. I don't see Apple making an eReader but I don't see Apple making a Tablet either.

20. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

After reading engadget's review of the nook, I think I'm really leaning towards the kindle- the combination of a device with must of the bugs worked out and availability for this holiday season are definitely important.

The only regret I might have is when the kindle 3 comes out- but I really don't feel like waiting (correct me if I am wrong) for a device with such minimal speculation.

21. klrobinson999 macrumors 6502

get the large size Kindle DX if you can. those screens are small on the other e-book readers. I hope Apple's tablet is the larger screen size.

22. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

I do not want to step out of the subject, but I think a e-reader hardly beats a paper copy of a book. I am no old time, but I don't think a e-reader is worth the money...

23. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

The Mac tablet is going to cost lots more than an ereader.

24. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Kindle $259
    Kindle DX $489

Now that the 6" Kindle can read PDF natively that near $500 price point for the DX is even tougher to swallow. The big screen would be nice in some situations, but for me thats outweighed by the portability of the smaller Kindle.

25. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I'm a Mac, curse you and your seductive post. I wasn't even thinking about an e-reader before your mad rant. My Kindle arrived yesterday, and to hell with waiting for christmas morning, I started reading my first Kindle book last night. I'm very impressed with the clarity of the text. Much better then my iPhone for reading long passages. If your looking for an e book reader I would skip the not even announced Apple tablet and get a dedicated reader.