Buy an iPhone 4 now, trade for an iPhone 5/4S upon release?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zumajoe, Jul 8, 2011.

  1. zumajoe macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    #1
    Obviously right now is pretty much the worst time to purchase a new iPhone, (assuming a new release in September) since buying right now would put me well over the 30-day return for a new one if in fact it is released then.

    I`ve been iPhone-less for about 2 years now (currently on a free candybar GoPhone from best buy) and i`ve reached my threshold for dealing with work/clients while on the road with this thing.

    My gut feeling says if I`ve waited this long I can hold off another couple months. I just wanted to get some opinions on the reality of buying now and trading for the new one upon release. Anyone here have advice?

    Planning to sign a new contract with ATT in the U.S.
     
  2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

    reebzor

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #2
    If you buy now, then you will have to pay full price for the iPhone 5 in September. I don't know who would be willing to trade you their iPhone5 for an iPhone4.

    If it were me, I would wait.
     
  3. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

    jmpnop

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2010
    #3
    Its really worth waiting. You've waited this long, 2 more months shouldn't be a problem.
     
  4. And1ss macrumors 6502a

    And1ss

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2009
    #4
    You have 30 days buyer's remorse for any phone on AT&T, so if you buy one now and i5 comes out within 30 days, you're good. Otherwise, you might have to pay the early upgrade price or full price.

    I'd recommend waiting. It's not worth the trouble over upgrade prices and whatnot.
     
  5. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

    moldy lunchbox

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2010
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    #5
    Buy an iPhone 4, sell it on Craigslist once the new one is announced and put that money towards the 5. The only catch is you have to keep the phone is good condition obviously.

    I've sold my 3GS after a year and got a 4. I'll probably repeat the cycle if the new phone is appealing enough.
     
  6. StvenH90 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    Location:
    Florida
    #6
    Your already going to be in a tiered contract, may as well wait...
     
  7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

    rockyroad55

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Location:
    Phila, PA
    #7
    Problem is, if you decide to sell the iPhone 4, remember that you have to buy it at the no-contract price.
     
  8. And1ss macrumors 6502a

    And1ss

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2009
    #8
    You could get away with the early upgrade price -$200, but I don't think that's likely giving the close timing.
     
  9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2011
    Location:
    Tallahassee, Florida
    #9
    It wouldn't make sense to get it now. I have two upgrades that I can use and I'm still using a Nexus 1. Keep your upgrade until the time comes.
     
  10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

    rockyroad55

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Location:
    Phila, PA
    #10
    I think early upgrades come around 10-12 months into a contract since 18 months is the standard timing for a full upgrade. I get early upgrades every 6-8 months because of my outrageous bill. If he gets it now, I highly doubt early upgrade pricing will be available in Sep.
     
  11. FF1982 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2010
    #11
    iphone5 in august?

    Hi guys.

    Did you hear that?

    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_...uncement-availability-in-august/?tag=mncol;7n


    Here is another rumor about the iphone 5. Considering what's said in this article,we'll maybe see the iphone 5 sooner than september/october,as it's expected.

    I'm the owner of a 3G iphone and i'm thinking to switch for the 4. A friend of mine want to sell me one new white ip4 32gb for a reasonable price but i'm undecided.

    What do you think guys? Maybe it worth it? Or should i wait until the iphone 5 release coming in the next couple months?

    P.S: sorry if i made mistakes. My english is not so good :p

    Thanks.:)
     
  12. Young Spade macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2011
    Location:
    Tallahassee, Florida
    #12
    Your English is great for a non-native speaker; much better than many Americans actually :/

    To get back on topic, I think you should just wait for the next one; it wouldn't really make any sense to get the 4 now; you'd be getting a fundamentally better phone in I guess, every regard, however with the rumored release a few months away, you might as well wait a few and get a phone that you'll want for a few years.

    New things are always coming out every year though, so if the deal is THAT good, (BTW, what is the price?), you could get it and use it for a while, then just get the next best thing that comes out at the end of this year (if you don't mind getting an Android phone or something) and use that.

    I personally have two upgrades under my belt (my line and my grandpa's line (family plan)) and I'm planning on just using his when the iPhone 5 comes out (if it's worth it) and keeping mine until something really big comes out next year (like Samsungs next Galaxy S phone or the next Android Nexus phone).

    It's all up to you; thinking in terms of money however, the logical thing to do would be to just wait and get the next one subsidized.
     
  13. FF1982 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2010
    #13
    My friend is selling the ip4 white version,32gb for 485€ (i'm from portugal).

    Stores here in portugal (fnac....) are selling it at the price of 699€,all of them unlocked.

    16gb model is sold for 599€ and my friend sells it to me for 400€.

    I'm gonna see him tomorrow on the afternoon,to see the phone.

    I'm more interested in buying the iphone 5 as soon as it's released. My birthday is in october:). It would be a good present for me. But i don't know what prices will be.

    The iphone4 unlocked,32 gb was sold 1099€ . The 16gb model 999€!!!!

    If a 64gb model comes out in the next version,i can´t imagine how much they´re gonna sell it here!!!!!!

    Maybe i'll wait until september and see what happens.

    Thanks anyway.

    p.s: sorry again for my mistakes;)
     
  14. Young Spade macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2011
    Location:
    Tallahassee, Florida
    #14
    Oh so I'm under the impression that you can't get it cheaper with a contract? If you cannot, then you could get it now... if you really are getting a good deal, you're going to get a great phone that won't be obsolete for another year at least. You could just get it now and take a chance trying to sell it to make some money back...but yea, if you have to buy it unlocked (the iPhone 5) then you're going to be spending a lot of money.
     
  15. FF1982 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2010
    #15
    Hi.

    I can buy it with contract but i think it won't worth it.

    I can also tell you that the iphone 4,32gb with contract is sold for 300€ just the phone and after that,i would have to pay 40€/24 months.

    Right now,and after seeing last rumors,i think waiting for the ip5 is a better solution.
     
  16. Young Spade macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2011
    Location:
    Tallahassee, Florida
    #16
    Ah ok, no I was saying if you can, you could just buy the iPhone 5 on contract, to save you a bit of money (vastly cheaper than buying off contract). But yea, nobody knows when the next one is coming out and I don't think the iphone 4 is worth that much over the 3GS; unlocked anyway.

    Save and wait for the next one :)
     
  17. FF1982 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2010
    #17
    Yes,i'm gonna wait until ip5 is released. Maybe then I'll buy it with contract.

    Thanks for your advices.
     
  18. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2009
    #18
    I'd wait... Actually I am waiting too. I've got my trusty 3G and I'm ready to drop cash on a new phone, but not 'til I can get an iPhone 5.
     

Share This Page