Buy an unlocked iPad (Wi-Fi+3G) from the online store

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LadyX, Mar 4, 2012.

1. LadyX, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

When the iPad 3 arrives on the online store, how can I order it unlocked? I don't live in the US but I already have a US address that can forward my shipments to my country, this way I can use it on sites where international shipping isn't offered like the Apple online store. When you order the iPad 2, you have to choose AT&T or Verizon, so I'm assuming the iPad 3 would be the same and so I'd like to know in prior. I want to buy one and then put my carrier's micro-sim card and be able to use it in my country. What should I do?

* My carrier uses a GSM network.

2. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

The AT&T iPad is unlocked to any GSM network. (Well it is with the iPad 2 and iPad 1 anyway)

3. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

Whoa, that was a fast reply, lol.

So the iPad 3 will be the same as well, right?

All I have to do is make sure to choose AT&T and I'll be able to replace AT&T's sim with my carrier's sim and be able to use it in my country with no problems whatsoever?

Has anyone tried that and could confirm this?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Apple does not sell the under a contract with a carrier so they come unlocked. You want the AT&T gsm model.

5. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

So I have to choose AT&T and that's it. Ok, thanks guys :D

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Let me get out my crystal ball so I can predict the future... oh darn, I seem to have misplaced it. :p

Point being, we're speculating. Yes, GSM iPad2 sold on AT&T was unlocked and would work on any GSM network. Same, I believe, for iPad1. *should* be the same for ipad3, but we could always get a surprise.

If it's a really big deal for you, best to wait for verification whether in the announcement or from first-day purchasers.

7. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

Buy an unlocked iPad (Wi-Fi+3G) from the online store

Do you think they'll say whether or not the iPad 3 on AT&T will be unlocked in the announcement? Are these things said in the announcement?

And if they didn't point it out in the announcement, do we take it as being unlocked like the iPad 1&2?

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, these things were mentioned during the past two announcements, so it's highly likely that they will be mentioned during this year's announcment. And in the case that it's NOT mentioned... well, I find it hard to believe that they'll make such a big change like locking the iPad without making sure that everyone knows about it beforehand. Just imagine how angry people would be if they bought the new iPad thinking it would be unlocked because the previous two versiond were unlocked, only to find that it is locked! So I doubt Apple would try to "sneak in" such a change without announcing it first.

9. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

"Both the ATT and Verizon model of iPad can roam worldwide on GSM/UMTS networks. In countries without compatible 4G LTE networks, the new iPad will operate on GSM network technologies such as HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA. When you travel internationally, you can use a micro-SIM card from a local carrier."

That's what it says on the online store. Does that mean that it will work outside the US with my carrier's microsim card????

If my carrier doesn't provide 4G will it switch to 3G??

10. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

Could someone please reply to my previous post :)

11. pika2000 macrumors 68030

1. The 4G iPads will work on any GSM carrier.
    2. Yes, the 4G iPads have quad-band HSDPA (850/900/1900/2100). If your carrier uses any of those bands for 3G, it will work with 3G.

iPads are never provider locked (with the exception of CDMA only iPads).

12. reefbuzz macrumors newbie

Yup, I can confirm that I've successfully been using my 3G iPad internationally for years now. You can generally purchase either a monthly plan or pay-as-you-go data plan SIMs. In extreme cases it's not necessary that they're mico, as full-size work fine too so long as they have a 3G data package.

13. lodog macrumors newbie

Looking at the tech specs, it looks like the Verizon model has all the compatibility of the AT&T model, plus CDMA. So does this mean you could use the Verizon model on AT&T but not vice-versa?

See: