Buy Apple Watch now or wait for 2nd generation in March / April? [MERGED]

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by malibuboats91, Oct 9, 2015.

?

Should I buy now or wait?

1. Buy Now

53.5%
  2. Wait

46.5%
  1. malibuboats91 macrumors regular

Hey everyone! I'm considering getting an iWatch as I recently broke my Seiko kinetic. I was not interested in the iWatch due to the high price with the band I want, but after finding an aftermarket band I like I'm highly considering getting one. I typically buy Apple products on release day (iPhones, iPads, etc) because I always have to have the latest and greatest. Would it be in my best interest waiting until the next model is released or would buying one now be a good move? I read that there are speculations that a new one will be released around March-April 2016. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

March-April is six months away. Get one now and enjoy.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Rumors say the 2nd generation Apple Watch is going to be released this time next year. If you want to wait for it you can. No one knows for sure what will be new with it.

5. malibuboats91 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay cool! I'll probably get one then. Generally are aftermarket bands decent?

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Some are. I think Apple is now selling official band adapters to band makers so that's a good thing.

7. malibuboats91 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay sweet! I was looking at a Monowear

8. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

2ND Gen, will have same design but better specs, third generation will have design change. Same as IPhone

9. Vader2 macrumors member

I struggled with the same dilemma. I wanted one, but my first generation iPad experience was telling me to wait. I ended up getting one after watch os2 came out and I'm glad I did.

10. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

I would just wait until the newest model is made, then again I guess that means you will be waiting a long time...

11. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Wait for the first gen iwatch or get the apple watch now.

12. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

We really have no idea. They could use the same model for years, introduce multiple new models next year, etc. Wearables are a different ballgame, so it's tough to say what Apple's plan is.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Except it's not the same as iPhone. 2nd generation iPhone (iPhone 3G) had a design change. Ditto with iPad.

14. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

15. ON3S3V3NTHR33 macrumors newbie

ON3S3V3NTHR33

16. ON3S3V3NTHR33 macrumors newbie

ON3S3V3NTHR33

First of all, it's  watch, NOT iWatch. Secondly, I've had mine since May and thus I learned to endure the shortcomings of watchOS 1.0.1.

Thankfully, watchOS 2 was released recently. I can, wholeheartedly, recommend the device to the curious.

Buy it and enjoy. ⌚️

17. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I'm getting one today, probably go for the sport version as the internals are the same (although I do like the look of the black stainless steel version). I thought about waiting but atm were are no set dates for a new one and if the rumours are correct March/April is a fair wait.

So I figured I'd get one now and if a better version does come out then I can always sell the gen 1 and get the new version.

18. Cooee! macrumors member

Cooee!

Apple Watch isn't even released yet in my country. I highly doubt there will be a gen2 so early

19. malibuboats91 thread starter macrumors regular

I just bought one! Just have to pick out a band now. Thanks!

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Great! Hope you enjoy.

As for bands, didn't it come with one? I find that the sports band is surprisingly comfortable for everyday wear, so I'd give that a try before anything else.

21. malibuboats91 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I got the black sports band. I like stainless link bands so I'm going to order one.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YOLUBEG/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Tgwgwb7Q8F4JF

22. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Same here, went with the Space Grey Sports 42mm in the end as the extra £160 odd for the stainless steel version didn't seem worth the mark up. Set up and update to Watch OS 2 and really liking it. Can see myself using Siri a lot more now.

23. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Will people still ask the same question a year from now?

24. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Go and get the sport model on Craig's List. They can be found for cheap. If you do not like you will loose less.

25. RvE-NL macrumors newbie

RvE-NL

It's simple: the next gen will always be better. So never buy an AW but always wait for the next one. Someday you will be dead and never owned an AW...

Seriously: there is no tomorrow. There is only now. So if you like the AW : buy one.