Buy applecare $200 or sell MBA and buy new version

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by NYRangers11, Jul 19, 2012.

  1. NYRangers11 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2011
    #1
    I got a 2011 MBA with 4gb ram and 1.6 i5. My window to buy applecare is up in two weeks and I'm in a predicament. I am thinking I can probably sell it on CL for about $800 and buy a new MBA for $1157 (with tax). Or I can keep my current MBA and spend $200 (buy it from adorama) to get applecare.

    I honestly have no real need for the upgrade but at the same time I think it will only cost me about $157 more to get a brand new MBA.

    At the same time Im thinking do I really need applecare? I think I rather be safe than sorry.

    Opinions please.
     
  2. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

    cedwhatev

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2011
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    I was in the same predicament. I sold my laptop and bought a new one. :D It ended up being the easier decision, plus you will get an extra year warranty out of it by buying new.
     
  3. John Adams macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Location:
    Fort Worth, TX USA
  4. NYRangers11 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2011
    #4
    With AppleCare I will have warranty for the next two years if anything breaks. Knock on wood.
     
  5. scarred macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2011
    #5
    ...or do nothing and keep enjoying your Mac the way you've been??

    The options you are giving yourself are pretty weird.
     
  6. OneMike macrumors 601

    OneMike

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2005
    #6
    I'd get the new macbook air. If it were next year and you already had a model with USB 3, etc.. I'd maybe hold onto it. Still wouldn't get applecare though.

    Then I guess it depends on how long you plan on keeping the mac.
     
  7. Nde macrumors 6502a

    Nde

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2008
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #7
    I just sold my MBA and got a new the MBA. The different was about a few hundred bucks. If you consider the cost of Applecare, it is pretty close to a new unit. Like one poster stated, one of my key upgrade is the USB3 port.

    I have Applecare for all my MBP but none for MBA. The only time my MBP needed Apple service are those old hard drives and DVD. Since MBA do not have any of those, I skip the Applecare. Knock on wood...
     
  8. Tfb macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2012
    #8
    If you don't actually need the 2012, I think I'd get Applecare (unless the credit card you bought the 2011 with has an extended warranty). If the 2013 MBA proves irresistible, you'll get a higher resale value on your 2011 if it includes Applecare, and you can chalk up the $150 savings in not upgrading now towards that upgrade as well. If it doesn't, you'll be in beautiful shape to upgrade to whatever exciting thing is coming in 2014 or later.

    You have a machine you know you like, where it sounds like the upgrade value is purely theoretical. Don't forget the potential hassles of getting a 2012 model that needs returning or fixing - the cost will be covered but not the inconvenience. Upgrading purely for the sake of something new seems kind of sad.
     

Share This Page