Buy Applecare to avoid costly logic board repair? Can't install Apps in 10.4.11.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DCBass, Jan 21, 2009.

1. DCBass macrumors 6502

Hey Everyone,

So, I've got a 1.83 Core Duo 17" iMac, 2gb RAM, 250GB HD, running 10.4.11. Last year, I tried to install Leopard, but every single time, the install failed. I took it into an Apple Store. They even tried to install it from a firewire drive, but to no avail. They started it up with some key combo, and determined that my logic board must be faulty (I don't remember the combo). They began to fill a repair order, but I had no interest in paying a lot of money when I could still run Tiger fine.

Fast forward one year to today.

The computer has still been running fine for the most part. However, I have a weird symptom where I cannot install any programs. I tried both Boxee and the iWork '09 trial. Both installs fail.... I've never had this problem before. Other than that, I have the occasional iTunes Library corruption as well as random image corruption (doesn't happen often). Everything else is fine outside of that.

My guess is that the logic board is getting somehow progressively worse, but searches here and in the Apple support forums show that these repairs are $700+ !!!

Here are my two questions:
    1. My three years from having bought the computer will be up in March. Can I buy Applecare now and then send it in for repairs before the three years are up?

2. If you have any guesses how I might fix my "can't install programs" problem, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

DCBass

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

If I'm reading you correctly, it's been almost 3 years since you bought your computer? Your window to purchase Applecare expires at 1 year, when the complimentary Applecare is up. Adding it now isn't an option, sorry.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If we are reading your correctly it's time for a new iMac. AppleCare must be purchased within the first year of ownership.

4. DCBass thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't know about the 1 year restriction, but that makes sense.

As much as I'd like to get a new machine, I'd rather wait till snow leopard is out, then spring for a refurb 15" unibody mbp.

Outside of re-installing Tiger all over again, anyone have any ideas on what I might be able to do?

Also, will a brick and mortar Apple Store do a repair estimate for me if I take it in?

Thanks Again.

5. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    try swapping out the RAM if you can. it may just be that.

if not,  can repair the computer for around $300 assuming there's no physical damage, or liquid damage, to it. they'll have to send it out for about a week and have their repair center do it. way cheaper than springing for the in store logic board repair.