Buy at Apple Store or Authorized Campus Reseller?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikeytwice, Jun 6, 2011.

1. mikeytwice macrumors member

Hi all -- I just wanted to solicit your advice on purchasing a new base 15" MBP. I'm a graduate student, and so I'm eligible for the education discount, but I'm undecided on whether to purchase at an Apple Store or on campus. My quandary is this: the price for the base 15" on campus is $1,575 before taxes -- an obvious deal. But their return policy sucks -- 14 days, unopened.

There's almost no chance I'll return the MBP for no reason, but I'm worried about the possibility of getting a crappy, heavily tinted screen and having to live with it for 4-5 years because I was unable to swap it out since I didn't purchase it at the Apple Store.

Has anyone who purchased from a third-party had any success in swapping out MBPs with awful screens that aren't technically defective?

(Note: I'm not insanely picky... I'm not the sort of person who would bring in a new MBP because it has a minor scuff on the hinge or something... I just don't want to get stuck with a screen thats very noticeably yellow and unevenly lit).

2. The Mad Mule macrumors regular

I would pay the extra at the Apple Store, just for peace of mind in case the thing is DOA, or has a defect or three.

3. maxgohan macrumors newbie

if its doa then i'm sure they would let him exchange it, it wouldn't make sense not to,

regardless, he should be able to exchange it at the apple store

4. mikeytwice thread starter macrumors member

Wouldn't the Apple Store replace/repair a DOA/defective computer regardless of where it was purchased? It's still under the standard Apple Care warranty. And it seems people would run into this problem when buying from Amazon or MacMall, yet do it anyway...

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Yes.

Hence, buy it at the campus reseller and save the $124 or whatever it is.