buy at college store, return at apple store to upgrade the screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AtMostFear, Feb 28, 2011.

1. AtMostFear macrumors newbie

I know this doesn't sound possible, but I still would like to know your guys' opinion. I'm planning to get the 15" base model from my college apple store as it'll come with the 3-year Applecare for just around $50 difference in price compared to buying online through Apple Education Store without Applecare.

However, my college apple store doesn't do custom orders, so I'll be stuck with the glossy screen. So my question is it is possible for me to buy the laptop from my college apple store, and return it at Apple Store so that I can upgrade to the antiglare screen and still retain my 3-year Applecare?

if it's possible can I just assume I only have to topup whatever it cost online to upgrade the glossy to antiglare screen?

2. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Not possible. Apple does not accept returns from other stores, and they will check the serial # against the system to see if you purchased it there.

Steve

3. AtMostFear thread starter macrumors newbie

oh well that sucks. guess I'll just have to make do with the glossy screen then.

4. ptruong31 macrumors member

I was also very curious about this, since the Macbook has a unibody design, with an attached monitor (correct me if I'm wrong, I am a Mac and somewhat technical newb), arent they able to just take the monitor off and attach a hi-res one?

5. bastienvans macrumors member

Is it not possible to go to your local apple store and get them to put AG on it?

6. ccashman92 macrumors regular

If you were to have the whole display replaced it wouldn't be the same. Its like having work done on your car. You would have to take the entire computer apart to replace the display. If you took your car apart and put it back together it will never be the same as it was before. Sometimes you get lucky and it'll be better but 90% of the time it isn't that way.

Hopefully that makes sense.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Extremely rare. I think I've only seen one person on this forum get their glossy display swapped for an AG display because the glossy one failed and was under AppleCare. I believe Apple is pretty much obligated to repair your Mac to original spec.

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Unless you're good friends with the Genius and the Manager :p