Buy at full retail price AT&T..so many different answers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lyons00, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

Hi,
    My contract is not up with AT&T until Sept 2015. I've called AT&T and Apple yesterday, they both said once the preorder goes live. I'll be able to buy the 6 plus, at full retail price on either Apple store app or online with Apple or AT&T.
    Called again because many people here are saying you can't...Now I'm told I can't preorder from Apple store app like I did for the iPhone 5 that was still under contract.
    I'm totally confused any help would be appreciated?

Thanks you, Jerry

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just wait, things will shake out and you'll be able to see what you can and cannot due.

3. inthecup macrumors regular

Same situation ... I was planning to do the same but when I found out I couldn't I really dug in and got to understand the AT&T Next ... Yes lots of misinformation about it but now that I understand it's my best option ... No you don't HAVE TO trade your phone in if it's paid off !!! 0% no contract and you CAN pay it off after a month if you like. A little confusing but in my mind the best offer if your going with AT&T.

4. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

I heard if I go this I loose my unlimited plan and I don't want to lose that.

5. Nikefn2 macrumors regular

I was under the same impression but after chatting with 3 representatives, they informed me that the Next option is only for the device and not for the plans. Meaning, we don't have to get rid of our unlimited data. They simply add the monthly payment for the device onto your bill each month without changing your current plan.

6. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

That is correct. You don't lose unlimited.

7. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Former AT&T Employee here:

AT&T Next is pretty much 20 or 24 month interest-free financing. You walk out of the store with the phone for your states/county's sales tax %, and can pay off the phone literally anytime. NOTE: people on old school "combined billing" will NOT be able to pay the phone off early. (I just left the company recently, checked back with a friend and she said this still holds true. Had this issue a few weeks ago with a customer trying to pay their Next off and they couldn't because of combined billing. So until they change this, keep it in mind.)

Next does NOT affect your plan at ALL! But if you are on Mobile Share Value, you retain your $15 credit (300mb - 6GB plans) and $25 credit (10GB+ plans) if you pay "full price" for your phone(AKA AT&T Next). You do NOT need to trade it in to upgrade again. Once the phone is paid in full, you can do another Next. Keep in mind, if you do want to trade in, and upgrade at 12 or 18 payments you can do so ANY time. You just have to give AT&T 12 or 18 months payments UPFRONT + your phone and boom, you can start another Next. Or just wait the 12 or 18 months. Whenever AT&T gets their money pretty much. Though, to do this, you start a new installment all over again.

EDIT: As of right now, you can only do 4 installments of Next on your BAN (billing account number). This means if you have a family of 5, 1 person won't be able to do Next. This counts for any tablets you are paying off on Next as well.

AT&T will also let ANYONE who has 18 months or less (YES, one and a half years) left on their existing two year contract start doing Next as long as you have't missed any payments or owe them money recently. (Check with your local store on this one, but the company is letting people out of their 2 years VERY early). This will let you out of your contract with out a termination fee and then you'll be on Next.

Hope this helps. Feel free to post this in other threads talking about AT&T Next. I always hated seeing people confused about Next because it's so much different than what we're used to, and you get a different answer out of every rep you speak with.

8. Nikefn2 macrumors regular

Thanks a lot! Would you mind explaining what this "Combined billing" is? I don't think I have that but I just want to be safe lol. I'm on a line by myself and will take the Next route.

9. Deguello macrumors 6502

Can you find out whether AT&T is going to offer a full price option on their site Friday morning.

10. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Combined billing is where you have your wireless services and your home services (either U-verse or DSL/Home phone) on ONE bill. They share the same account number. AT&T no longer offers this service, so you would be grandfathered into it. As of a week ago, they were getting ready to launch "Unified Billing", which is a rehashed version of combined billing, but I'm not sure if the same with apply with paying off your AT&T Next early.

They should! I will tell you this though, the company HAS to sell you the device now, even at full price. I know in previous years, they'd fight to keep the devices for people only signing new 2-year agreements, but now they don't care. They'd rather get their $650+ dollars from you upfront then wait 20/24 months.

11. Lyons00 thread starter macrumors 6502

here what I just found on Apple site...Available iPhone Prices
    You qualify for the following iPhone pricing:

iPhone Upgrade Pricing Matrix
    iPhone Model and Capacity 2-Year Contract** AT&T NextSM 12
    (20 installments)*
    Today Sep 25, 2015 Today

iPhone 6 Plus
    16GB
    $549.00
    $299.00
    $37.45/month
    64GB
    $649.00
    $399.00
    $42.45/month
    128GB
    $749.00
    $499.00
    $47.45/month

iPhone 6
    16GB
    $449.00
    $199.00
    $32.45/month
    64GB
    $549.00
    $299.00
    $37.45/month
    128GB
    $649.00
    $399.00
    $42.45/month

*AT&T NextSM 18 with 24 installments is also available.
    Please notify me when I'm available for an iPhone upgrade?
    When your line does become eligible for upgrade pricing, we'll send you an email.
    We'll also keep you up-to-date with Apple news, including the latest information on products and services. In case you're wondering, here's some information about our privacy policy.

Email Address Sign Up
    Close Window
    **Requires new two-year AT&T wireless service contract, sold separately to qualified customers; credit check required; must be 18 or older. In CA and RI, sales tax is collected on the unbundled price of iPhone.

12. drober30 macrumors 6502a

After I pay my phone off, can I just continue on the data share 10GB plan with the $25 discount?

In other words, if I decide to keep my iPhone 6+ for three years, can I still benefit from the lower NEXT plan and $25 discount?

** Never mind, I see where you said it does not affect your plan.

13. theBigD23 macrumors 6502a

What I did the for the 5s: buy the full retail version of Tmobile. It's the exact same thing and comes unlocked.

14. Deguello macrumors 6502

Did you use it on AT&T? Did you just use the SIM from your previous phone?

I checked pricing on my wife's number and apple.com will sell it to me for full price but "requires 2 year contract," which just seems evil.

15. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Mobile Share Value: Pricing is for wireless service only and includes monthly plan charge and monthly access charge per device. AT&T NextSM smartphone installment charges are extra. Smartphones sold separately. Access charge savings: Compares Mobile Share Value plan smartphone access charge with a smartphone on AT&T Next ($15 or $25 per month) to one on a 2-year agreement ($40 per month). Per smartphone discount is $25 on plans 10GB and larger and $15 for plans less than 10GB. For plans 10GB or higher, customers with smartphones on a 2-year agreement prior to February 2, 2014, are eligible for the $25 per month access charge discount. For plans 2GB to 6GB, customers with smartphones on a 2-year agreement prior to March 9, 2014, are eligible for the $15 per month access charge discount. This discounted pricing is available as long as you keep your phone. If upgrading to a new phone, the discount is only available via AT&T Next, when you bring your own phone, or when you buy a new phone at full price. If you upgrade to a new 2-year agreement, the discount is lost. Other charges and restrictions apply. See att.com/mobilesharevalue for full Mobile Share Value plan pricing details.

16. theBigD23 macrumors 6502a

I used the same SIM. It will still say the old phone online, but that really doesn't make a difference.