Buy discontinued, but brand new 15" 2.4GHz MBP for $1399?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macaddict23, Nov 12, 2008.

1. macaddict23 macrumors 6502

macaddict23

Old college bookstore has 5 more in stock. I'm tempted into buying it to replace my Dual-Core 2GHz G5 (Radeon 6600LE, 4.5GBram). Which of the two will be faster? My main apps are CS3 Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator. I don't play video games. I occasionally work with 100MB-200MB files. Thanks in advance!

2. darshan macrumors member

well go for it...

MBP = greater power GPU wise, better screen then macbook, Hard drive will likely be the same as 2.4 aluminum macbook (250GB)

and on top of that your paying less then the new macbook

macbook only has the new structure (alum casing) but if you were to buy a macbook pro u're still getting aluminum jus not the unibody...

plus dun have to deal with mini-display port if your looking to ever hook it up to an external monitor...

so all in all it works out for your needs...

SELLING POINT --> CHEAPER N BETTER IN ALOT OF WAYS

3. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That seems like a great price to me. It is $600 less than the new models, so I'd go for it.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Do it! They had a similar model in the refurb store for $1349, but it FLIES off the shelves when it reappears.

6. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

Having went from a previous gen 2.4 to a new 2.4 I would say do it. I don't regret the upgrade but I paid too much.

The battery seems to charge alot faster to capacity on the previous model which makes you more mobile. When I had my old computer I could work on the couch for hours, take a break and charge the computer for an hour and then go back to working unplugged. With the new model I am at the desk all day.

I'd get a protector for the trackpad from Zagg immediately so it doesn't have a shiny area after a few months. That was one of the biggest complaints on my old one.