Buy early Mac Pro 2gz 4GRAM for £690, or save for later model?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lovehaight, Nov 24, 2009.

1. lovehaight macrumors member

The earliest model...... just want to get some opinions here before taking plunge..drawbacks for me 1)I don't like the idea of not being able to update the OS 2) dont like the fact it doesnt run 64 bit natively...plus side 1) It will be a major upgrade for me, as am using g4 ppc and can run Snow L 2)I can afford it (just) can I pick some minds re price and how long its likely to last? I mostly use my mac for video and music..what exactly will I need to watch HD video? am wavering whether to milk my g4 until I can save enough, or take the plunge and start saving again...

2006 2GZ Mac OS X (10.5)

2. akadmon macrumors 68020

As has been said in the other thread, this machine will last you at least another two years. That's a long time to save up for something better! I personally don't think Apple will abandon MP 1,1 with the next OS. So we're probably talking another 4 years before MP 1,1 becomes truly obsolete.

3. lovehaight thread starter macrumors member

thanks, this feedback really helps..have only one person advise not to go for it...what is MP1,1?

4. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

This your third thread on the same issue in one day. This is monkey business.

5. lovehaight thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I couldnt find my earlier one for some reason..I just needed to reassure myself I am doing the right thing..having been out of work for some time, I really cant afford to waste 690£..then again, I really cant afford to be without intel at this point:)