Buy G4PB + iPod now or wait for new PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jpm1_ny, Sep 12, 2004.

  1. jpm1_ny macrumors newbie

    Sep 12, 2004
    I have an old G4Tibook (400Mhz) and am thinking of upgrading soon.

    I was wondering about anyone's thoughts are on buying a G4Albook and iPod now (cram and jam rebate) or waiting for a new Powerbook that might come sometime soon. I am not a "poweruser" but do use MS Office, Photoshop, edit movies and burn DVD's.

    I would love to have an iPod and don't know if a new PB is really on the horizon soon. If it is just an incremental speed bump, I don't think it would matter much to me, because anything will be a bump up compared to what I use now. So I have until this rebate offer expires before I decide. What do you guys think?

    Thanks for the help and info.
  2. howard macrumors 68020


    Nov 18, 2002
    if you are not a poweruser i would just get the ibook+ipod. especially if getting the waiting to get the powerbook means not getting an ipod. besides it could be a month or 2 before they announce new powerbooks and ever longer for it to ship. having that time to have fun with your new ibook and ipod is much more worth it in my opinion.

    i have an old ibook, and while i am sort of a poweruser, i can still scrape by with this 700mhz ibook partly because i filled it with ram. i definitely recommend getting as much ram as you can afford.
  3. lazymuoio macrumors member

    Jun 30, 2004
    New York
    i agree, defintly get it now before cram and jam ends and then when new powerbooks are released and shipping you can trade up if you really wnat but it doesnt sound like you need to also remember to buy extra ram from either crucial or kingston
  4. hcuar macrumors 65816


    Jul 23, 2004
    Get em if you need em

    I really don't think the powerbook should be restricted to "power users". There are several things like monitor spanning that make the powerbook attactive. Although that may be a more advanced feature, a normal user may miss that in the future. In addition, when I just bought my new 12" powerbook, I looked at the additonal features such as bluetooth, airport extreme, better video card, comes with monitor cables (dvi and vga), faster processor, faster bus, faster memory, etc. It seemed like I'd be giving up quite a bit to get the iBook.

    So... i would only recommend an iBook to someone that can only afford an iBook. (In addition, if it means you can't get an iPod... well get the iBook. However, I don't think it'll be a problem with the cram and jam.) To anyone who can afford the powerbook... get it.

    The best rule is... Get as much hardware as you can afford. It'll last longer, you'll be less frustrated, and you never know what you'll want to do with it in the future.
  5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030


    Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Get the Powerbook 15" 1.5ghz with a 5400RPM hard drive. The next Powerbooks will only be small speed bumps. The G5 is still at least 6-8 months away from seeing Powerbooks.
  6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

    Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    I would go for it now. Cram and jam is an awsome deal. Don't pass it up. I don't think the next powerbooks are going to be much more powerfull then then the 1.5's now. I would go for one now.

Share This Page