Buy GTX 285 now or hope for new Nvidia card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ShiftClick, Aug 1, 2010.

1. ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

So I currently have a 2.66 quad core nehalem with the base GT120. I have to stay Nvidia graphics for work related applications. Should I bite the bullet now and pay for the discontinued GTX 285 or do you think there is a good chance that there will be a Nvidia replacement from a 3rd party or now that Apple is in their war with Adobe we are just screwed on new Nvidia graphics options?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. ShiftClick thread starter macrumors regular

ShiftClick

Thanks for the link, looks like a lot of work to get there right now for the 480.

No I work under 10.6.3 and while the GT 120 is technically the only card qualified I've been assured the gtx 285 is supported, and I'd like to have a bit of performance boost, should I decide to dabble in some games like Star Craft. Since the card has been discontinued its either sold out or being sold at full price everywhere and I don't really want to pay that much for older tech, but then I'm afraid if a qualified mac version of a 480 comes out it will take months to get the drivers to get it to run ideally. Sorry for the ramblin.