Buy in UK or US in launch week?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fatboyslick, Aug 30, 2013.

1. fatboyslick macrumors regular

Hi

Im in the US on holiday from 22 September and wondering what the chances are of picking up an iPhone 5S while there for the week. Will it be out of stock do people think?

My other option is to order from the UK Apple website and get the device on launch day, but im tempted to buy when in the US the following week to take advantage of the cheaper price.

However, conscious that it may be out of stock

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm not sure if the unsubsidised and unlocked iPhone 5S will be available from launch in the US.

There was a two month delay before the iPhone 5 was available and a similar wait for the 4S.

3. photographypro macrumors regular

photographypro

buy in the US

Buy in the US. Buy the Verizon or Sprint model (if it's like the current iPhone 5). The ATT model uses different frequencies for LTE than Europe. You may have to stand in line, but you can get one. Sign up for a contract, then cancel it upon return to the UK. You'll pay a $350 cancellation fee, but you'll still be about $500 cheaper than buying in Europe.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That's not really an option, you need a US address, a US bank account and to pass a credit check to sign up for a contract phone.

5. fatboyslick thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Good point - im after an unlocked/network free version.
    These I can just buy from the Apple Store/Website in the UK. Can you not do this in the US?

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Yes, but they are not usually available until a couple of months after the launch date.

7. fatboyslick thread starter macrumors regular