Buy/Install Lion as Me, give MBP to sis, can she get updates?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by abnospam, Jul 25, 2011.

1. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

Hi everyone - I got an AIR! So, I am planning on downloading Lion on my MBP and burning the DMG to DVD and doing a clean install and wiping the drive. My question is: is that Lion somehow tied to my apple ID as I purchased it under my ID in the App Store?

Will my sister be able to login with her Apple ID and still receive Lion updates even though the App Store has no record of her purchasing Lion?

Many thanks...

2. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Yes she will still be able to :) It is still your macbook pro, even if you're letting your sister use it, and it will be a legitimate license.

Apple is a hardware company primarily, so they don't have copy protection like microsoft and adobe do, because they don't make a lot of money from software sales in relation to hardware sales.

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

software license thru apple transfers with the hardware, since its proprietary.

She can even use her own iTunes account info and you don't have to worry about her charge your CC!

4. abnospam thread starter macrumors regular

abnospam

great! thanks everyone.

Now, here is to hoping that migration assistant from SL to Lion (on my AIR) works flawlessly!

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Software being proprietary has nothing to do with the software license being transferable. The end user license agreement, original equipment manufacturer license agreement, or volume license agreement would dictate the software licensing restrictions of the software.