Buy iPhone 3G @850 from India or buy @ $400 AT&T,unlock later?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peanut48, Aug 21, 2008.

1. peanut48 macrumors regular

Hi

I'm in a dilemma. The iPhone 3G is now releasing in India but at a hefty price of $850 for the 16GB model. I'm not sure whether there will be any price cuts in the future and also they are simlocked to the network in India.

I have a relative traveling to India next week and was thinking of asking him to pick one for me there and I shall later unlock it when the dev team releases it.

Any thoughts on this? What are the pro's and con's? I know warranty is one. But is that so important that paying twice the price for a locked handset is justified?

I need to decide soon and hopefully my relative will be able to find one for me in the states given the shortages.

Thanks

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I don't think that AT&T will sell it without a contract.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

at&t will provide contract free in the future. If you really want an unlocked iPhone, you need to get one from Italy, France, or Hong Kong, as Italy and Hong Kong are unlocked by default, and France (and other places) can be obtained for an extra fee.

TEG

4. peanut48 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks netdog and TEG...

I've been looking at ebay and find many people selling the AT&T iPhone without any contract...so I was hoping I could get one of those and unlock it unofficially..But I guess it's not worth the trouble, maybe I should wait and see how apple does with this ridiculous pricing in India...

5. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Of course you can get one without contract (on ebay). I canceled mine and I will be selling it on ebay. But the price is not much different, $639.00 or something like that. Plus then you have to wait for when an unlock comes out.