Buy iphone 3g, cancel, and don't give phone back to at&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pufftissue, Jan 13, 2009.

1. pufftissue macrumors regular

Hi,

I bought an iphone 3g 16 gb black from AT&T with the intention of giving it as a gift overseas when I go back.

I have every intention of canceling the plan and keeping the phone.

Can you tell me if they will make me physically give the phone back? If I don't, what's the final price that I'm looking at?

Has anyone actually done this as opposed to speculating?

My calculations: $300 + $35 (activation) + $70 (one month plan) + $175 (early termination fee)...that's about $575, which is what I'd pay on ebay anyway.

Do I need to wait 30 days before canceling the phone line or can I just be honest with them?

2. DEAN616 macrumors member

you prolly about right. you dont have to give it back. you paid for it. the penalty is the early cancellation fee. thats it. cheaper than paying for it outright.

3. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Yes you have t wait 30 days, or you will have to return it. Plus you will pay one month + partial month, so you ar looking at a $120+ first bill.

4. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

^^^ yes he is correct. You have to keep the phone for 30 days or else you have to give it back, but hey its cheaper than buying a non-contract phone which is $700 for the 16g.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Meaningless. You DO have to give it back if you cancel within 30 days.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

paid for it partially. theres a reason why the phone was cheap up front...it was subsidized by the plan they expected you to follow through on.

with that said, you keep the phone if you cancel after 30 days and pay the etf

7. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Here's a more easy answer, go to a 3rd party cell phone retailer which sells unlock phones, buy the 16 gb iPhone unlocked for approx. 500-600 bucks. You're done!

8. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Obviously you're not from US.

9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Can't you cancel on the 31st day and then just pay the cancellation fee of $175.00 + first bill?

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So I've read a number of these threads, and I still don't completely understand... how exactly do they make you give it back? Do they just refuse to stop charging you until they have the phone back, or....

11. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Canadian. Thank God we aren't slaves to phone carriers like you guys are ;).

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Cool. Anyway, there just aren't shops that do that down here.

13. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Invoice you for the $599 or $699 amount. If you don't pay, say hello to collection then ruined credit.

14. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

That is what the ATT rep said when I was in the store.
    Didn't think that was true tho

15. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Why not? If they want to enforce it, that's how they would do it. Don't sign the contract if you don't want to pay the bill.

16. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

What????????

I'm from Canada okay and the US has it better off than us.

Better plans, cheaper cancellation fee, NO SAF, 2 year contracts (as opposed to 3 here) etc...

$400 to cancel here in Canada..

change your mind?

17. daflake macrumors 6502a

18. pufftissue thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I'm going to keep it for 31 days and then cancel.
    I will let you know the total cost, from someone who is doing it for real.

Phone arrives tomorrow and I'll unlock it then.

Paying the ETF is not going to ruin your credit. Because it's a deal that you can get out of your contract if you pay $175. It won't ruin credit b/c you didn't break any deal. The deal is either/or. Either pay $70 a month OR at anytime, pay $175 to be released from your contract.

19. daflake macrumors 6502a

I would imagine that they will want the ETF for the contract and then the full cost of the phone since it is subsidized. Either way I don't think that it will be cheap. On the credit front, no, it will not hurt your credit unless you don't pay the bill. ;)

20. Bambeezer macrumors regular

Does ATT refund the unused service costs on the first bill if you cancel after 30 days?

21. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

That never happened to my friend.

22. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

I did this exact thing at launch, and it's exactly as you said in your first post with one caveat. The ETF is $170. They pro-rate it by $5 for every month you're with AT&T up to 18 months, so even though you can't cancel it in the first month, they do count that first month towards the ETF.

Also, don't forget to add in all the taxes.

23. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

I was going to do this but seems kinda messy. How does your phone number work? Is your phone # just attached to your sim card or how would that work if I wanted to use it on tmobile after the 30 days and unlock it?

24. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

Would it not be better to keep the contract going to use the free minutes/texts?

25. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

You will not receive an invoice for the "Retail" price of the phone from AT&T. This is just another internet rumor.

From AT&T:

Terms Applicable to iPhone Customers on AT&T Nation/FamilyTalk® GSM Plans: Credit approval required. Subscriber must live and have a mailing address within AT&T's owned network coverage area. An early termination fee of $175 applies if service is terminated before the end of the contract term. For service activated on or after May 25, 2008 the Early Termination Fee will be reduced by $5.00 for each full month toward your minimum term that you complete. If phone is returned within 3 days, activation fee will be refunded. If phone is returned within 30 days in like-new condition with all components, early termination fee will be waived. All other charges apply. Some dealers impose additional fees.​

Some individuals have been able to cancel before day 31 while others have had to wait, your individual experience may vary depending on how firm you are and the rep you are dealing with on the contract cancellation.

Dave.