Buy iPhone 4 now... and wait to upgrade 'til next year's LTE iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smdewart, Feb 21, 2011.

  1. smdewart macrumors newbie

    Oct 11, 2005
    Here's a theory I'd like to toss out for your consideration...

    What if I bought the VZW iPhone 4 now (Feb 11) and bypass the iPhone 5 upgrade (likely *not* an LTE version) in order to upgrade to the likely LTE iPhone 6 next year?

    I'm thinking the iPhone 6 would be out in maybe July 12 -- and I'd be eligible for an upgrade in Oct 12 (the 20-month point). Otherwise, if I bought the iPhone 5 this summer, I'd be waiting even longer for LTE.


    P.S. The more I think about this summer's iPhone 5, I wonder if VZW would so deliberately throw iPhone 4 buyers under the bus. I realize they want to make money, but won't people be pissed? Or is the iPhone 4 just a guinea-pig run ahead of a mass-carrier (think SPRINT) launch of the iPhone 5?
  2. saving107 macrumors 603


    Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    this question is getting old.

    Buy what is currently available and enjoy your purchase.

  3. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

    Apple 26.2

    Jan 1, 2011
    What up, 212?!
    I've thought about this also... and that's why I got the 4.
  4. vincenz macrumors 601


    Oct 20, 2008
    I'd wait and just get the 5. That one should have HSPA+.

    2012's iPhone will be LTE, which all the carriers will probably charge an extra 10-15 bucks for just like Sprint is doing.

    HSPA+ should be a good trade-off with increased speed without the extra cost.
  5. ApexBoost macrumors member

    Feb 15, 2011
    America's High Five
    If you want one, get one. There will always be something new coming out that is just a little better, just decide if the anticipated updates are worth enough to you to wait,
  6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere


    Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
  7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040


    Apr 30, 2010
  8. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

    Sep 16, 2010
    Southern California
    I've been saying the same thing for the past month. Buy the Verizon iPhone 4 now, and upgrade in October of 2012.

    That's what I'm gonna do. :)
  9. Reach9 macrumors 68020


    Aug 17, 2010
    In America
    Honestly, buy whichever you feel most content with. At the end it's personal preference. You'll never be on top of technology, so don't aim to do that.

    I have my iPhone 3G from the first day it was launched and i skipped the 3GS and the 4 upgrade. Mind you, i didn't calculate the iPhone 3G to be so slow in iOS 4.2.1, but that's because it is internally very similar to the original iPhone.
    The iPhone 4 won't be as slow, when iOS 6 comes out, so really just buy whichever you feel is worth it.
    Otherwise you'll always be waiting and not enjoying the device.
  10. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

    Jun 14, 2010
  11. SonGoku v2.5 macrumors member

    Apr 11, 2010
    Personally, I'd wait for the iPhone 12; I hear it'll have 7G by then.
  12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere


    Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    I agree. The 7G speeds will be amazing:D

Share This Page