Buy iphone 5 "mid cycle" or wait

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajumbaje, Mar 30, 2013.

1. ajumbaje macrumors 6502

ajumbaje

So I have been given the option of using one of my family member's upgrades on AT&T. currently split unlimited data, 1400 minutes and unlimited text back from when we got 3GSs in July 09

I am eligible in July to upgrade. What I am wondering is if there will be much improvement with a 5S like there had been with the 4S and 3GS. I have only owned a 3GS and currently own a 4S.

Part of me wants to get something now, mainly because I am not sure if AT&T will pull a verizon when the next phone comes out and make me pay full price for a subsidized phone to keep unlimited data. I could wait, which I don't mind, but feel worried the grandfathered plan holders won't have much longer.

WWDC is in June and I would assume something is announced there(ios7).

Only things I see that are sensible for the next upgrade are processor and ram. *Maybe* camera. I wouldn't expect apple to change form already. Maybe in 2014.

Anyone else in the same boat?

2. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

Theres a couple things you can bet on the 5S having, and that is the same basic design along with speed improvements. And maybe an improved camera. Everything else are just rumors right now.

The release date has been rumored from June-August so it's anyones guess. If history were to repeat itself, it'll be September. Although it's entirely up to you, if you feel you want to buy the 5 now, then go ahead. It's still a great device.

If you have some doubts about buying one now because of what kind of upgrades the 5S will have the I would hold out a bit longer, say, June for WWDC. Maybe it will tell us something.

3. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Just go with the 5. It's a very solid phone and will continue to be well after the 5s is released. The only garuntee is getting faster hardware with the 5s at this point. Everything else is just speculation.

4. Hail Caesar macrumors regular

5. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

IMO, hardware is just skin deep. Focusing too much on just that is kinda shallow.

One of the reasons I think Apple has been so secretive about iOS 7 and OSX 10.9 is that something big is in the works. That's where we'll see major changes, and the iPhone 5 has the horsepower to run a next generation iOS.

6. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

do just like 90% every iphone owners out there. Buy, Enjoy, Sell, Repeat

7. blarivee macrumors 6502

You should just wait. If AT&T pulls a Verizon, they will have a cut off date before the new rule comes into effect.

8. tinamcgee, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013

tinamcgee macrumors newbie

5 is best of Apple till date....have been using it!! Excellent! pokies

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you won't buy until July, I'd say wait until the next version comes out.

10. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

If you want the iphone 5 go and get it, you can always wait for the new model :)

11. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I thought for a while that the 5S would fix the bend and flaking/scratching issues, but that seems to have all died down now. I'd say if you get a 5 now, there will be little difference between it and the 'S'. Nothing most people would notice anyhow.

12. bimmerboii macrumors member

If you are planning on upgrading, get the 5 now. If you wait for the "S" version, you will be outdated within a year. Always better to get the first versions (ie 3g, 4, 5) so when the next model comes out the changes are not so big.

13. samven582 macrumors 6502a

Nope. The problem still exist unfortunately