Buy iPhone 5 parts now for $199??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MLG, Aug 21, 2012.

1. MLG macrumors regular

I have almost resigned myself to the idea that the leaked pics do represent the real new iPhone. But, when the parts start showing up for sale and Apple still doesn't do anything, it seems odd to me. Either they are just going to let it go because of the positive effects the speculation is having on their stock price, or they are just sitting back and laughing.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/375508/20120820/apple-iphone-5-components-features-specs-release.htm

To me, it would be better and make more sense if this new Sophone 5S looked like the real deal. It even says "Designed by Apple in California" on the back. The last Sophone was an identical copy, which makes me wonder if Apple isn't licensing the designs out to them.

http://www.sophone.com/

2. iforbes macrumors 6502

Pretty sure it says "Designed by Abbie" or "Designed by Abble".

;)

3. 725032 Guest

Yes bro you're completely right - Abble!!!

Ha ha, to the OP i think you wouldnt find it quite the same as an apple product.

Also, isnt it illegal to import such goods?

4. MLG thread starter macrumors regular

You're right...looking closely, it does say that. That could be a Chinese typo or a deliberate "near-miss."

The Sophone 4S is an exact replica and even runs iOS software. Doesn't it seem odd that while Apple is going after Samsung for infringing on their patents, they don't mind an exact replica of their phone being for sale in China using their software? They must be licensing it out to them, and possibly even providing them with parts or designs, otherwise they would be trying to shut them down.

----------

I can't tell a difference between the real thing and the copy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vo8Og2_by8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

So, what are the internal specs on the sophone?

6. MLG thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know...I don't read Chinese, but what you can see on the website is that the 4S runs iOS5 and has 512k rom and 512k ram. It says 3D on there, also...don't know what the context is. Some of the screen shots on the site are taken straight from Apple.

The 5S indicates it runs Android 4.0 but there are no screen shots and I haven't seen a functional one. Maybe it will actually run iOS6 when it comes out?

7. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

So much of this whole situation seems so weird to me. I am still sure we have seen the phone we are going to get, but have we seen parts being sold before? Publicly like this? The iPhone 4 at the bar is different than this IMO.