Buy iPhone 5s for AT&T (full priced) online?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ronaldcastillo, Sep 19, 2013.

1. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

Would it be possible to buy an iPhone 5s full priced for AT&T or would I have to stop at an Apple Retail Store to buy one?

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Usually they reserve iPhone's on launch day for contract customers.

Good luck getting a non-contract version.

3. mjcxp macrumors regular

You might not be able to do either if you are eligible for an early upgrade.

4. Lamarak macrumors 6502

Ya seems they want to grab people who are getting new 2year contracts first

5. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I've always been able to preorder or order a full price att iphone on the day of a launch .. dunno why this time would be different .. im gonna do it tonight hopefully

6. mjcxp macrumors regular

If you are eligible for an early upgrade you won't be able to upgrade for full retail price.

7. ronaldcastillo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I remember I went in on launch day and they sold me one for $649. I don't really care if it's not unlocked, I just don't want to extend my contract for another 2 yrs, but hopefully this option is available like the 5c (Sim-free) tonight.

8. mjcxp macrumors regular

I am hoping for the same but I am not confident.

9. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Your experience is definitely not the norm.

10. terzinator macrumors 6502

I don't get this. If you CAN get a subsidized phone, and all you have to do to get it is extend your contract, why would you pay full price?

Subsidized iPhone = $199
    Full price iPhone = $649 (or $450 more than the subsidized phone)

Cost to terminate AT&T contract early = $325 minus $10 for each full month
    of completed Service Commitment

Even if you terminated the contract on day 1, it would cost less than the Full Price phone.

Or maybe I'm not smelling what you're cooking.

11. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Because they don't want to be in a contract. To do that you have to buy the phone at full price. Also you have more bargaining power when issues come up because you can leave without playing them anything.

12. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

These days AT&T could care less.

13. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Then why do they keep trying to force contracts? I'm not trying to be a jerk and my question isn't directed *at* you specifically. Legit question. If they don't care if you stay or go, why don't they just sell unlocked non-contract phones? Or unlock it and keep me on contract like they did for every Nokia or BB before iphones came out. I have no interest in leaving my plan. I just need to be able to use it overseas. For me, that is the main reason for buying full price.

14. terzinator macrumors 6502

But but but... It's irrelevant if you're in a contract. You pay the money, and you're out. And the money you pay to get out (including the price of the subsidized phone) is LESS than the price of an unlocked phone.

Or am I missing something?

15. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Everybody has a different situation. I am on an old Verizon (really alltel( grandfathered plan. $70/mo, unlimited data, text, etc... If I upgrade they bump me to a share plan for $100/mo. $30 more a month over 2 years is $720. Better for me to pay full retail and keep my better plan. The problem is - as of now - I can't figure out how to do it on Verizon. Not sure about at&t

16. ronaldcastillo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ordered a white 5 for home delivery, but ended up wanting black. They had it in stock, but my upgrade eligibility would take several days to go back to my AT&T acct. So I ended up buying it full priced and sold my white one on Craigslist for the same. I don't qualify for an upgrade but want to get the 5s. So that is why I'm gonna pay full price for the 5s so that I'll be eligible for the next generation iPhone.

17. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

You are asking why they wnat you to be under contract?

Good luck at finding your phone. Mine is ordered and will ship in a few days.