Buy iPhone from Apple or Verizon store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewT, Oct 22, 2012.

1. AndrewT macrumors newbie

The wife and I are finally going to retire the old flip phones and get iPhones. We are currently Verizon Wireless customers and plan to stay with them. Are there any advantages to buying the iPhones from either Apple or Verizon? Any other retailer we should consider, keeping in mind our intention to stay with Verizon?

Thanks for your help.

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Definitely buy from Apple. You'll have a lot less hassle if anything goes wrong. Also, you can preorder the night before and pick it up in the store locally. I got two phones within a week that way.

3. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

Apple store all the way. Why would you buy an apple product anywhere else? Besides, it's always an experience buying from an apple syore

4. tsduke macrumors regular

Because Apple store is 2.5 hour drive and vzw store 5 minutes.

5. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

In that case Verizon is ok.

Keep in mind that if you want to return them, you will have to pay a restocking fee at Verizon.

6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Then order online from apple. If you order from verizon and something goes wrong you will more than likely have to deal with verizon...which is NOT fun. Apple has the best customer service. Verizon used to be great....now they just want to sell you something and get you out of their site until you are ready for an upgrade....much like how all the other carriers have always been.

7. tsduke macrumors regular

I would prefer to but Apple's lead time sucks.

8. bremersm macrumors newbie

I ordered from Apple. I keep on checking nightly inventory to see if I can do an in store pickup before my phone ships.

If I could check VZW inventory and pick up in store I would have no problem getting my phone from VZW.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Buy from the carriers, that's what I do and have had noting but excellent experiences. If there are any issues with your account or setup, they can help. Apple is not AT&T or Verizon, they can only do so much.

Other than iPhones I buy all my Apple gear via their store.

10. tsduke macrumors regular

No matter where you get the phone you always talk to carrier for account issues.:confused:

11. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Will Apple honor a $50 (new every two) discount that you may have with Verizon?

12. bremersm macrumors newbie

I don't think VZW is honoring the NE2 any more.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Doesn't Verizon inflate cost by $50 on iPhones?

14. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

No.

Verizon I've been hearing is shipping quicker , especially if you are ordering 32/64gb devices.

15. bwhitta macrumors regular

Apple. Apple's return policy for iPhones is 30 days while Verizon's is only 14 days. Apple is also generally easier to deal with and more understanding when issues arise.

16. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

I think what he means, is if you go and pick up your phone and something is wrong with the service at apple, then they can only do so much right then and there before you have to go to your carrier. However if you get it from your carrier then you are already there and can handle any type of service issues on the spot.

I'd go with the carrier. Any hardware issues you can go straight through apple even after you buy it from the carrier so I think that would be the best bet.

As for the "experience" of buying from apple...I don't know how that could be a valid reason NOW. Maybe if he was waiting in line on launch day when everything is all about the iPhone launch would there be an actual "experience" now. A month after launch, not so much.

17. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I can say that they still are ... at least on the website. We've been on dumbphones for about 4 years. Had put off upgrading since the phones still work fine. But now that the batteries are crapping out (and bulging) and brand-new replacement batteries have been sitting on shelves for 4 years (and unable to hold a charge), we reluctantly jumped into the smartphone era.

Verizon was offering a $50 credit for my wife's upgrade since she was eligible for NE2 but hadn't used it for 2 years.

Anyways, we went with AT&T in the end.

BTW - Verizon was adding $30 for each phone as an "upgrade" fee. Totally wiping out the $50 NE2 credit.

I do remember hearing that VZ was phasing out NE2, though, so if the OP had gotten a phone in the previous year or two, he probably doesn't qualify.

ft