Buy Iphone From Apple Store And Then Go Home And Activate Through Att Over The Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Summer33, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Summer33 macrumors newbie

Last year after my husband upgraded his line to the 3gs at the apple store, we got a HUGE bill in the mail from at&t. We noticed that his text messaging plan (which was one of those corporate text plans) wasn't on his account and he was charged per use. I called AT&T and they confirmed that the plan had been dropped. We believe Apple dropped the plan when they upgraded his phone. AT&T was unable to add the text plan back onto the account, but after numerous attempts to contact them and their supervisors, one supervisor was finally able to add on a different texting plan- though nothing as good as the one we had.

Anyways, bottom line is, we already reserved one for pickup from Apple but were wondering if anyone knew if we could just buy the phone from Apple and activate it later from home while calling AT&T? Or, does Apple have to activate the phone right out the door? I'm just afraid they are going to drop me or my husbands texting plan again, and we will have the same issue. We don't want to order from AT&T because now they are saying that you won't get the phone until after the 24th.

If anyone has any input, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, maybe the people with the special texting plans (like the TMS4, etc) should be careful when they go activate their new phone at Apple.

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

He must have had very old texting plan. Please be advised that this is not totally apple's fault. They should have informed you the changes, but Apple employees are not trained for AT&T service plans. Some of the plans are so old and I don't even know what they are. I used to work for AT&T and there was a 30 dollars a plan for smartphone. (included unlimited Data + Unlimited messaging plan)

Back in iphone 3G and 3GS, iphone did not support MMS, so reps had no choice but to add iphone texting plans. Codes are different. These features are the grandfathered ones, but you always have a chance of losing it when you get a new phone like iphones.

To answer your question, no. Apple will make you activate it at the store because they have to make sure you activate it. If you pre-order shipped to your house, then yes. You can do it at your house.

3. Summer33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Apple did not tell us that they dropped the plan- but yes, I understand that Apple does not specialize in AT&T plans, so they probably didn't even realize it. I just talked to Apple and you are correct, they have to be activated in the store. I then talked to AT&T and they said that if they drop the plan then to call them back... this is what happened last time, so I guess we risk the chance of losing those texting plans which would be horrible. They weren't able to add it back on last time and had to add a different corporate texting plan on it... who knows if that one is even still available. I guess we probably should have gone to AT&T to order.