Buy iPod Nano 16GB OR iPhone 3G + contract in a few months?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2Shae, Nov 9, 2008.

?

What would you do?

Poll closed Apr 8, 2009.
  1. Buy an iPod Nano 16G NOW and keep my current phone

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Wait and get the iPhone + 2 year contract in 4 months (feb-mar '09)

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  1. 2Shae macrumors 6502

I can't seem to make up my mind about what I should buy.

I definitely need a new iPod since my old 5G's battery is getting weaker and weaker. Right now I could buy an iPod Nano 16GB, but I also don't really like carrying 2 devices in my pockets (iPod and mobile phone) and with the iPhone I would only need carry one device.

Currently, I have a 1-year contract with my (very cool) phone which I could upgrade to an iPhone contract in Feb-Mar '09....iPhone itself would cost me €0 thanks to T-Mobile Netherlands.

Obviously I'm not going to buy a Nano now and an iPhone in 4 months for that will be a waste of money. :rolleyes:

But the thing is that I'm not sure if I really want the iPhone 3G, because of the crappy 2MP camera, the inability to send files via Bluetooth and of course, battery which won't last long if I use it as phone and iPod as well.

I'm hoping for an iPhone upgrade, but I doubt it will happen before June '09.

So what do you think?

Should I buy an iPod Nano 16GB NOW and keep my current phone.
    or
    Should I wait and get the iPhone in 4 months (feb-mar '09)

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The iPhone's camera is pretty good in even lighting. How often do you use your current phone's camera? A 2MP sensor is plenty for pics on the go. The battery will last pretty long as long as you don't watch video for the entire day. A few music videos and jamming to songs will only scratch the battery's full capacity. Not even a dent.

For the ability to send files to the iPhone, boxx.net, air sharing, discover, files, briefcase, etc all allow you to send files to the iPhone for offline storage with WiFi. Bluetooth is much slower than even 802.11A right?

I'd say for the iPhone, since that is a very cool piece of hardware and worth much more than a regular phone + iPod nano. It's like a mini computer. You can edit text, email, sms txt messing, weather, stocks, etc with functions that multiply with more apps in the app store, where much of it is free.

3. jdwingnut macrumors regular

Please explain how you can edit text on the iPhone. Everything I have read about emails, docs or sms is that you can READ ONLY.

4. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

Your right, the camera isn't really that big of a deal.

Don't care for video watching, but as long as I can listen to music for about 30 minutes a day and have 3-4 phone calls day without charging until the evening, then I'm ok with it.

It's more for phone 2 phone file sending what I use the bluetooth for. Like sending/receiving photo's and songs.

Is also why I want the iPhone...the functionality and it's just so damn cool.:D

5. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I'd go with the iphone but I'm biased. Do you actually send a lot of songs back and forth that it will influence you purchase? Honestly with the iphone, you'll get the best portable internet device bar none (compare to blackberry, androids, etc..), decent pda, GREAT Ipod, and good phone. With nano, you'll get a great ipod and that it really.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

1. Camera takes pretty good pics under good lighting conditions.
    2. It can play music from 12 AM to 12 PM. And over 300 mins of talk time.
    3. You can use MMS, via an app from the app store which is free btw. Or just email the file.
    4. You're right, the iPhone is damn cool! Lol

7. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Unless you desperately need Shake To Shuffle, and can not live without it for that you are sure, I would get the iPhone.

8. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Oh, you say that now, let me know how it goes a few months after :-D

9. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Not enough options. 1. Get a 16 gb ipod touch, 2. get a 3rd gen nano refurb $79 (4gig) or $99 (8gig). Keep your nice phone. Also hang on to your 5gen 'cause it will work great with a ipod-ready car stereo (no need for a good battery.

10. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

No, these are the only options I see.

I don't want a Touch...think they're useless
    Don't like the iPod Nano G3

11. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

I've decided to wait the extra months and just get the iPhone 3G.
    Hope they have a 32GB version by then. :rolleyes: