Buy Mac Pro now or wait for fixes (or, is any 8800 owner happy)?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by smirk, Feb 18, 2008.

1. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I've been waiting for a couple years now for Apple to build a machine this awesome, so it's killing me to read about all the display and lockup issues people are having. At first I had hoped the problem was the ATI card, but now it seems that the 8800s have the same problem.

Does anybody have a new mac pro (with either graphics card) and no display/lockup problems? Do you guys recommend waiting until Apple issues a fix? My main computer is still my old, souped-up PowerMac G3 rev. 1, which had IDE and firewire issues that Apple never did fix because they were hardware problems, not software. It would stink to go through that again.

What do you all think? Buy now in hopes of a software fix (or of the problem not occurring) or wait until a fix is actually made (which could mean a rev. 2 Mac Pro)?

2. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I didn't know there were any lock-up problems with with the 8800GT. Can anyone confirm this? I was under the impression that the only major problem with the new MPs were the sleep/reboot issue and maybe less-than-stellar video performance w/the 8800.

I just ordered my MP this afternoon @ 2pm. If this is true - I'm canceling the order.

For $3500+ I expect perfection.

3. big dainjerus macrumors regular

4. 98707 macrumors regular

Are you joking?

This is my first post in a while because I've been so busy on my new pro with 8800 GT. I have had NO problems at all.. It is a total dream configuration.. what are you waiting for!

5. deathshrub macrumors 6502

I'm not having any lockups - graphics related or otherwise. However, I am being affected by the restart-after-sleep bug. If I were you, I would postpone buying until this issue was ironed out.

6. MikeL macrumors 6502

Some of you think that forum whiners and complainers represent the majority of owners? Geesh.

Most of us are happily using our machines.

7. skye247 macrumors newbie

Although I'm new here, I just wanted to chime in that I'm a new Mac Pro user with a 8800 GT and I'm *very* happy with it thus far. No wake from sleep issues and I'm happy with the graphics. I refer to it as "The Beast" because it truly is.

As others have stated, you most often hear the complaints because people come here for help. We don't have too many threads with everyone saying, "No, no problems .. I'm happy."

8. aibo macrumors 6502

0 crashes, 0 display glitches. been using mine since Feb 8th...

9. deathshrub macrumors 6502

Gee, I wonder who that could have been directed at.

I really wish my machine didn't exhibit any problems. However, since that isn't the case, I am going to relay my experiences to others who are having the same problem as me.

I really hope that's ok with you, MikeL!

10. Brandon3003 macrumors member

Just like the others, I've had absolutely 0 problems with my 8800 mac pro :p

Been a great Mac experience for me so far (my first mac).

11. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Just ignore him. He likes to stir up trouble in the forums, and with enough rope he'll hang himself with yet another vacation, or hopefully a permaban. :rolleyes:

As for my 88000GT Mac Pro, no video lockups to report at this time. I do have the reboot from wake problem that happens every now and again. You just never know when it'll do it or when it'll decide to do what its supposed to and wake up. Many people with this problem have reported that it doesn't happen in Windows, so this points to (yet another) Leopard problem.

12. Heliconsoul macrumors member

Had my MP since 12th Feb. No lock ups or crashes, as my first Mac I couldn't be happier (touch wood)

13. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

Ban the troll....

As for the Mac Pro - I returned mine with the 2600XT. It was a pain in the ass, but my replacement with the 8800GT is flawless. Go for the 8800GT and don't wait!

14. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

seriously is the wake-up from sleep a deal breaker? Not all 8800 are having this issue. You can enjoy all the benefits of very fast machine and wait for Apple software fix. Besides shuting down and rebooting does not take long and you'd be saving energy too.

15. newkeyboard macrumors regular

16. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I had the sleep to restart problem for the first few days. No problems since. Holding back, whichever card you want, is a waste of time. These machines are incredible.

As for ATI vs NVIDIA, I know that some users had problems, but mine is working like a charm, as are many of them. I didn't want to wait 5 weeks for the NVIDIA and have no need for it. That said, if you game or do 3D, the NVIDIA seems like a good deal.

Good luck with your new Mac Pro. You will love it.

17. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

No issues whatsoever with mine. Had it for a week.

18. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I have the ATI with no problems other the occasional wake from sleep reboot.
    So go ahead and buy your system.

19. MrPDaddyHimself macrumors regular

MrPDaddyHimself

I'll let you know when I receive the 2nd one they plan on sending me. I'm confident though as this one will have been checked out by engineers before shipping. :)

20. Reach macrumors 6502a

If you can live with the sleep-issue I'd order. I'm very happy with my machine, I just had to turn off the sleep-function..

21. davem7 macrumors member

I think I've had the restart/sleep issue once, but other than that nothing. The machine has been totally awesome so far :)

22. Kraftwerk9 macrumors newbie

I had to wait for a long time to get my MP,but once I got it, there is no problem whatsoever...No sleeping problem, no lockup...I have 8800 +500GB.
    Only thing i did was to update to 10.5.2 as soon as I started up for the first time from the box. (well, yes, I have to go through registration and all that...)
    So, I would say I am happy with what I have now.

23. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

i'm happy with mine. havent had any problems.
    people on forums are more likely to come here to complain/try to fix their issues they are having.

24. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

In answering this, I was thinking about the Daytona 500. I heard it cost $200,000 for one of those race cars. Yet, not all of them finished the race without problems. Yes, we pay a pretty hefty sum for our MacPros. If we assume we will not have problems we are fooling ourselves. I paid $3500 for a PB G3 back in 1999. Two weeks in, I had to send it back due to a bad hard drive. Since then, it has performed outstandingly.

I have high hopes for the same experience with my new Mac Pro. Will it have problems...I hope not but I will face it as a challenge. As a military vet, it is not life or death...thank God! Will I enjoy having the most powerful computer at my hands...YES!!!

This is not intended as a slam for all of you who are dealing with issues. I would be first in line to support you in getting them resolved. I hope Apple will stand by their products, as in the past, and work for a speedy and happy resolution.

25. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I am running the new 8800 Mac Pro... I have had no problems with the OS itself or with the hardware.

I have encountered an issue with Maya... the Maya Batch renderer seems to quit unexpectedly while rendering, which is waisting a lot of time and really hindering my work. But if you don't use Maya, then I would have no hesitation recommending that you make the purchase.