Buy MBA 2018 instead of No Touch Bar 2017 MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by asoksevil, Nov 1, 2018.

1. asoksevil macrumors 6502

I really value the portability of the new 2018 MBA, weight and keyboard... while I do appreciate the better screen, the more powerful CPU and GPU they come both at $1499 for the 256 GB SSD.

Any thoughts on this?

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Pretty much you need to work that out. One has more power at the expense of portability and battery life, the other is opposite. Really depends on what you value more for your particular use.

Don't you already have a 2017 Pro according to your sig?

3. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

If the nTB had a 3rd gen keyboard, I would recommend them, but unfortunately it does not.

4. windows12 macrumors member

The 2nd gen keyboard on the nTB is what kills it for me, I would be paranoid about a particle of dust breaking it.

5. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

But the 2017 nTB MBP keyboard has a four-year warranty on it, free, from Apple.

6. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

It does yes, but you can be out of a machine a week plus potentially, multiple times in your ownership. I had the model and I had to return it due to keyboard issues occuring in the first month. On some other threads, people have already changed their keyboards 3/4 times. Frankly, that isn't what I want and nobody should accept this compromise. They should have made a custom version of the Gen-3 keyboard at the very least which could be retrofitted into faulty machines, not replace them with fault-prone keyboards again.

7. windows12 macrumors member

True, but I can't afford to be out of my computer for a week or whatever, I use it as my only work device and for me reliability is the first priority.

8. Macintoshrumors macrumors 6502

Macintoshrumors

How about waiting till they come out an go to an Apple store or Best Buy to scope them out. They are basically the same machines, difference design with the pro being a more powerful minus Touch ID, If you look at the spec page, the dimensions are nearly identicle so their really isn’t a portability argument.

9. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

The NTB has a better screen. I'd get that instead.

10. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

I would wait for proper specs on the MBA, as well as benchmarks. Surely we'll have a better idea today.