Buy MBP now or wait til the end of the year

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by asdtfdr, Jun 10, 2009.

  1. asdtfdr macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2009
    #1
    Hi.
    So I will buy a new laptop, and this time it will be a 15' mbp. With the new battery update I am really tented to buy it now, but I do not really need it right now.
    Should I wait until, say, October/November, after Snow Leopard is out, or the wait will not be worth it(no new updates in the horizon)?
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    Buy now, you can buy Snow Leopard for 10 bucks when it's released
     
  3. asdtfdr thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2009
    #3
    My question is not only about SL. Is it possible that Apple will update the mbp with new cpu/graphics card/ddr3 ram until the end of the year?
     
  4. yoppie macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2007
    #4
    Now is not a bad time to buy since they're new but if you want to wait, go ahead. Just know that you could potentially be waiting forever playing the game you're playing because when October/November gets here, you might ask if you should wait for the next batch.

    If you like the new offerings, I say jump on it and be happy.
     
  5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #5
    If you don't need it don't buy it? Nehalem MBPs should be out just after the New Year but the current Core 2 Duos are pretty powerful anyway.
     
  6. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #6
    yeah, who knows when they'll update them again. but if you need it now, get it. and if you can wait, then wait
     
  7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #7
    If you truly need a new system, buy one. If you don't, then wait until you do.

    If your current system is meeting your needs, continue to use it until it no longer does so. Apple will always have something newer, better, faster and cooler around the corner.
     
  8. asdtfdr thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2009
    #8
    My buying limit is November.
    But I think I'll wait, even if there are no big changes, there will be some minor upgrades that will make the mbp a bit more time-proof.
     
  9. JCastro macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2008
    #9
    You said you could wait. My advise is to wait. You can only gain from it if you don't need it right now. Apple periodically updates with speed bumps. If you wait until October/November it will probably come with SL then you don't even have to pay $10. Just set some money aside between now and then so you have a large chunk of cash to pay for it easier or to get some extras if you need them.
     
  10. MrSmith macrumors 68040

    MrSmith

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2003
    #10
    Is that going to be a big deal? Specifically, is it going to be a big deal for the average, say, iMovie user?
     
  11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #11
    If snow leopard does effectively use multiple cores and the graphics chip for everyday computing and use like they say it's going to, then yes, more processors and better graphics cards will make a difference.

    Take the mac pros, where the quad supposedly beats the octo for everyday use; the octo only trumps its less expensive sister when it's using software specifically designed to take full advantage of multiple processing cores. 10.6 promises to change all of that.

    If you need the machine now, buy it now. If you don't, wait. If your current system meets your needs, use it until it no longer does so.

    OTOH, if you truly need to buy a new system, now is the time to buy so you at least get six to twelve months of use before apple updates your model line. I'd wait a couple of weeks or a month just to make sure that there's not a flaw or a design shortcoming that would lessen your enjoyment of the machine; let everyone else be the beta tester. You don't want to be a pioneer if you don't have to.
     
  12. MrSmith macrumors 68040

    MrSmith

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2003
    #12
    Thanks for your comments. While I'm aware that there will always be updates round the corner, I don't want to be caught out by a big, game-changing update. Perhaps from what you say, Nehalam could be one. My iBook G4 is a little annoying but has lots of life left yet so I can wait. Then again, there could be a year of bugs to iron out. Is that possible with a new chip design?
     
  13. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #13
    Nope. Your average consumer would notice a difference (probably about 20 - 40% dare I put a figure against it), but it wouldn't be something to cry about (of course when it does come out, we'll get the compulsory "OMG I gots rubbish Core 2 Duo and now Apple does this!").

    It's a big update, but there shouldn't really be any design flaws. Intel are quite rigorous with their testing. With the first run of mobile Nehalems however, it looks a little bit of a hodge podge. Intel have had to accelerate their 32nm development for the mobile side, which I'm assuming they've had to do because Hyper-Threading increases power draw. There's also no QPI (the thing which eliminates the FSB), but instead a low-end version of it. Intel have also said the clock speeds will be virtually identical to current Penryns so draw from that what you will. Personally, I'm buying now as I know the Core 2 Duo has fully matured, but the early Nehalem's should outperform Core 2 Duos by a certain margin anyway. There's not enough known about it right now though and I'm unsure if Intel will get it to market before the New Year given the lack of information.
     
  14. hamzab macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2008
    #14
    I had the BlackBook, well now an uMB 2.4 replaced by Apple, but I was originally waiting for Nehalam, I start Uni next fall so I was originally waiting for those bad-boys to come out. Its a major jump with Nehalam so like everyone else is saying, if you can wait till Next year.

    I can gurantee you, Nehalam will be in the New MacBooks, they are already out but Apple is a little slow putting in stuff into its machines (i.e Firewire, SD slot ;)) so just give it a bit of a wait if you can
     
  15. asdtfdr thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2009
    #15
    Ok, but if they are released this year, it will be the 45nm architecture, with something like 1.6, 1.73 or 2.0 GHz.
    Will they have better performance (power consumption is important too) than the actual c2d?
    And speaking of graphics card, is it possible that they will put a new graphic card in the next update? I will not play games on it (just star wars the old republic :D when it comes out) but with the new technologies in snow leopard, GPU will have a bigger importance.
     
  16. Ashhong macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2008
    #16
    in this thread you ask up to predict the future.

    nobody knows what Apple is going to do. anything is possible. if you want to buy it, buy it. if not, wait until the end of the year and ask these questions again.
     
  17. kas23 macrumors 603

    kas23

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    #17
    I just bought the new 13 inch MBP. It's an excellent machine at an excellent price. I'm sure you will not be disappointed. However, I needed it - badly. If you don't need it now, there is no reason to be impatient and jump.
     
  18. BayouBengal macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Houston,TX
    #18
    There's always going to be a looming possible update no matter when you buy. Like right now, the question is when do we see the next CPU bump? Very possible this fall or just before the holidays. So buy when you need and when you have the funds.
     
  19. yoyomaster macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2009
    #19
    You could also say you want to wait after the new processors are released, you can always wait, but you waiting means you don't have the computer you want. If you need the computer now just go ahead and buy it, if not you can wait and see what comes out this fall. Even Mac users who purchased and are using leopard (pre June 8th) only have to pay $29 for a single user for snow leopard, which isn't much to begin when compared to leopard. Again there's no guarantee that these processors will be put into the macbook pros this year, so you could end up waiting for basically nothing.
     

Share This Page