Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happydudeca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Canada
Quick question:

I've opted for the base model MBP as my first laptop and first Mac. The student discount is great so I don't want a refurb old model MBP. I'd like to do some a little bit of gaming so the MB is not a good choice, but I don't need 256mb card either. I've been surfing different Mac-related forums for about a month now and am hesitant to place my order:
-Kernel panics, particularly with the 'airport card'. I have an Airlink AR325W 802.11g Wireless Router if that means anything.
-Heat issues
-The new LED screens being a shade of yellow

I'd like to get it soon to allow me to get used to it before I head back to university, but with all the issues I read here it makes me wonder if I shouldn't wait for the kinks to get worked out. It's a 7-10 day waiting period for the MBP to even get shipped which means even if I order right now I'm looking at an arrival date of early August. Maybe I should just buy a Dell :confused:

On a side note, I know the hardware just got updated and I don't really care to wait for Leopard. :)

aliquis-

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
Quick question:

I've opted for the base model MBP as my first laptop and first Mac. The student discount is great so I don't want a refurb old model MBP. I'd like to do some a little bit of gaming so the MB is not a good choice, but I don't need 256mb card either. I've been surfing different Mac-related forums for about a month now and am hesitant to place my order:
-Kernel panics, particularly with the 'airport card'. I have an Airlink AR325W 802.11g Wireless Router if that means anything.
-Heat issues
-The new LED screens being a shade of yellow

I'd like to get it soon to allow me to get used to it before I head back to university, but with all the issues I read here it makes me wonder if I shouldn't wait for the kinks to get worked out. It's a 7-10 day waiting period for the MBP to even get shipped which means even if I order right now I'm looking at an arrival date of early August. Maybe I should just buy a Dell :confused:

On a side note, I know the hardware just got updated and I don't really care to wait for Leopard. :)
I doubt kernel panics are something many has, and if they do it will get fixed.

I wasn't aware of any new heat issues with them?

If only one part of the screen is yellow have it replaced, if it's only due to viewing angles it's within specs and you just have to accept it, if the whole screen looks "yellow" to you calibrate it differently.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
there's always a potential for problems. Apple might work out the issues with the current models but new ones may arise. remember, though, that you generally only hear about the problem machines; an overwhelming majority of production units are flawless (statistically, at least, and as far as the average user is concerned).

there are also problems with Dell computers. there is no computer company whose output is 100% perfect.

the bottom line: buy what you want when you're ready. if you feel that waiting is in your best interest, wait. if you're comfortable ordering now, go for it.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Guh!!!

YES!

Buy a MBP now, and stop worrying!

The MBPs are NOT going to be updated until at least early next year, and Apple have had over a month to fix up the known bugs in the hardware.

We are probably on Rev. C and don't even know it yet.

happydudeca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Canada
there's always a potential for problems. Apple might work out the issues with the current models but new ones may arise. remember, though, that you generally only hear about the problem machines; an overwhelming majority of production units are flawless (statistically, at least, and as far as the average user is concerned).

It appears that the majority of users love their Macs and have no complaints at all. That's the problems with internet forums; few people start a new thread just to say 'no problems here'.

Might as well get it now I suppose.

hooch

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
Chicago
It appears that the majority of users love their Macs and have no complaints at all. That's the problems with internet forums; few people start a new thread just to say 'no problems here'.

Might as well get it now I suppose.

I bought my MBP with SR on day 2 of the release. No problems at all. BUY!

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2006
I wouldn't worry about it. I bought one of the first C2D mbps when they came out and I love it. No problems whatsoever. It an amazing machine. I was worried about some of the major issues, but I have no to speak of. Good luck with your purchase! I did the student discount too!

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
My MacBook Pro arrived today. Like you, I was very stressed and worried that it was going to arrive with major issues like a lot of the ones that are all over this forum. Now, to be sure, a sizeable percentage of MBP's are experiencing technical issues, but mine arrived with no issues to speak of.

Just order now, you'll be glad that you did. :)

BrandonMatt0718

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
New York
Yes! Tuesday night my NEW MBP was prepared for shipment I can't wait until it gets shipped.:D

Does anyone know how long it will take to get to me from the day its prepared for shipping?::confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.