Buy new fans for new MBP Unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theoski, Dec 26, 2008.

1. theoski macrumors member

Anyone have seen the new fans for MBP Unibody? I only have seen the old ones. Will the ones for Penryn fit? Kind of doubt it.

Mine started to die after 2 months. Not bad for a $2k computer :)

2. pj- macrumors member

3. theoski thread starter macrumors member

I am more of a looking to fix it myself, rather than fight with apple like in some of their threads what's acceptable noise.

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

No. There are 4 kinds of MBP fan, Old Left, Old Right, Unibody Left, and Unibody Right. All of them seem to be almost exactly the same blade and hub design, but with completely non-interchangeable screw locations and slightly different duct shapes.

5. theoski thread starter macrumors member

I just I looked at them and they are both
    Delta Electronics KSB0505HB fans.

Just with a different connector and casing.

6. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Add two more for the first gen MBP left and right, which had different fan casing from the core 2 duo ones.

7. pj- macrumors member

my left fan made a barely audible noise and they fixed it without being lame. From the time I dropped it off with fedex to the time I got it back was less than 5 days, and that included a weekend.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

it would be interesting to know whats actually causing them to break, is there any visible damage on the fans themselves?

9. theoski thread starter macrumors member

There was dust underneath both of them, but the fan blade head a visible tear on the bottom closer to the center which make me think that this is what was causing the noise.

10. Brazilian Joe macrumors newbie

I don't know what you mean by 'dying' but if it's a mater of noise, maybe you don't have to replace it.

I had a very loud fan once in my previous notebook. it was not a Mac, but it does not matter in this case.

It was an Acer, and gave me a bit of trouble to get in and get the cooler out, but I have managed to do it without damaging anything.

Since it was next to impossible to get a replacement part, especially not in a very short time frame, and I couldn't afford to get the machine laying idle (I have work to do!), I opened the cooler, dusted it blew it and got it as clean as I could.

opening the cooler is a piece of cake, compared to opening the whole notbook. 3 or 4 screws and you are done.

Gently pull the fan out of the motor core, clean the blades, remove all the dust you can, and get yourself a very fine motor lubricant oil, those that are applicable by spray.

After I cleaned and sprayed it, it became as silent as in the first day I ran it, it had to put the ear right on the air outlet to barely hear anything.

And it was a rather beefy machine, an Acer 8210 (which comes with a dedicated Radeon x1600 gpu, so it has to rather hot chips in there).

Of course, after I did it, I kept a good eye on both rotational speed and CPU temperature, to see if it was working properly (luckily it was).

So, instead of assuming your cooler is 'defective' , just lubricate it a bit. It is possible that its only 'defect' was having too little lubricant applied, which ended up being absorbed by dust particles over time.

Good luck!

11. theoski thread starter macrumors member

There is a physical damage to the fan on the bottom, so there is something in the outer plastic casing or a motor hitting it.