Buy now Ivy Bridge (non retina) MacBook Pro or wait for Haswell

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by balintalovits, Jul 23, 2013.

1. balintalovits macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm about buying a 15" MacBook Pro (non retina) with HiRes AntiGlare option.

Since it has not been updated more than a year now, it might mean 2 things. They wont update it since Apple wants to push the costumers to buy the Retina ones and this is the last model with Ivy Bridge before discontinuing or they still keep it in the product line, but update later.

What do you think? Should I buy the Ivy Bridge or should I wait? Is the power saving at Haswell really that better in 4 cores too?

thx

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

At this point can you wait? While some think that apple may not update the cMBP, we really don't know.

If you need one now, by all means buy it, but if you can wait, there's no harm then. What happens if apple does refresh the cMBP with Haswell - how will you feel for not waiting a month (or two)?

3. balintalovits thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point! But First it looks they won't upgrade it, and second I dont know in which a part will the Haswell be better over the Ivy Bridge?! :)

4. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Greater Battery Life

Improved Integrated Graphics (may or may not matter since MBP can have dedicated graphics as well)

Support for TB2? -not really tied to Haswell

Support for 802.11ac (Faster WiFi)? - also not tied to Haswell

5. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

Good god if you can wait then wait for Haswell. It'll be out by October.