Buy now or wait for SSDs to come down in price?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by supersnail, Jun 30, 2012.

  1. supersnail macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2012
    #1
    I'm thinking about buying a Macbook Air, but the SSD is still pretty pricey (512GB vs. 256GB is an extra $450). I have read that SSDs are coming down in price really quickly, but I don't know how soon that would be reflected in Apple's pricing. Any ideas?

    Do you think I should wait and see if the prices come down in the not too distant future, or just go for it now?
     
  2. Ves macrumors member

    Ves

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2009
    Location:
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    #2
    SSD price drops never reflects the SSD price Apple asks on their website.
     
  3. ozaz macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    Location:
    UK
    #3
    Now that MBA's with 512GB SSDs are available, I am also thinking about switching my MBP for an Air.

    Currently the minimum price for a 13" macbook air with 512GB SSD is $2,000

    Would anyone care to hazard a rough guess as to how much the total cost of a 13" macbook air with a 512GB SSD will be after summer 2013 updates? (based on knowledge of past trends of macbook air prices and current trends in ssd prices and how these are reflected in apple pricing)

    If it's likely to be down to $1,500 by next summer, I'll probably wait until then. If people think its only likely to have dropped to $1850 or so then I'll probably get one now.
     
  4. Oracle1729 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2009
    #4
    Buy a MBP (not retina) now, and when the SSD's are cheap enough for you, you can buy one and replace the HDD in your laptop with it. Pretty much any sata3 SSD will run rings around what Apple has, and you can use the optical drive bay to hold a second hard drive with another TB of storage.
     

Share This Page